Oxo Bladed Meat Tenderizer

OhioTom76

Guru
Local time
12:36 PM
This is one of my most recent purchases from Bed Bath & Beyond. I went in there looking for a specific garlic chopper that they didn't carry, and ended up walking out with this instead.

I was looking for something that could take cheaper cuts of steak, but also pork chops and chicken, and make them more tender. I don't really care for using chemicals to tenderize meat because it takes longer, and doesn't evenly affect the meat, and they are often rather salty.

Generally speaking I'm relatively pleased with the device - it's well designed overall - but what it's really lacking is the ability to keep it locked with the blades exposed too - for cleaning purposes. The lock on top is effective for keeping the blades hidden, but when it comes to trying to clean it in some soapy water under a faucet, it's rather cumbersome trying to push down the guard to expose the blades to clean them. The unit does separate into two, to let you clean inside the grip as well.

In my tests so far, it worked well on chicken tenders but you have to be careful not to overdo it otherwise the meat starts to have a very processed texture. On thin beef round steaks it didn't fare as well - the steaks were still tough. But that could be because they were so thin - I suspect it will work better on thicker steaks.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...434706843&sr=1-2&keywords=oxo+meat+tenderizer

61zjn25fC5L__SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the butchers I have used in the past has a commercial machine that does the same thing to their pre cut steaks
Not sure if I ever noticed any difference , the quality and respect for the meat improves its texture and quality ,
But it's a good bit of kit , have fun trying it out

I should get one, because I'm planning to try making my own bacon, and the pork belly has to be poked while marinated in liquid smoke & spices before it is slow cooked in the oven! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom