Pâté - has it fallen out of fashion?

Here's an interesting little thing I noticed today:

I grew up on olive loaf. It's essentially bologna with green olives in it:

As a kid, I loved that stuff (that pic is from Smithfield Meats).

Well, today, while poking around the deli case at Kroger, I noticed that Boar's Head, which markets itself as a maker of premium deli meats and cheeses, doesn't call theirs olive loaf, they call it olive terrine loaf.

That's probably why they can get away with charging twice as much! :laugh:

View attachment 32259

Well, today, while poking around the deli case at Kroger, I noticed that Boar's Head, which markets itself as a maker of premium deli meats and cheeses, doesn't call theirs olive loaf, they call it olive terrine loaf.

That looks identical to our delis here, ours has mixed vegetables in it. They call it savoury luncheon. I buy it all the time. I eat it as a snack from the fridge, one piece with squirt tomato sauce, then into my pie hole. Lol.

Russ

At one stage of my childhood I remember haslet appeared often on the "menu". Whether haslet could be considered pâté, I do not know, but it was cheap.

GF_haslet_web[1].jpg

View attachment 32259

Growing up, I took a hole punch, and removed the olives.

Whether haslet could be considered pâté, I do not know, but it was cheap.
I wouldn't consider it a pate - a pate needs to be spreadable. Haslet would normally be categorised as a cooked meat (the same category as pork luncheon meat, sliced ham, corned beef, liver sausage, etc.)

Last edited:
Last time I looked you could still get it and it was still cheap - I love it.

It must be 30 odd years since I've had it but I can close my eyes and imagine it. I must have loved it at the time.

Back
Top Bottom