Pancake Day - tell us your favourite way to cook pancakes.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:13 AM
In the UK, Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday, is the traditional feast day before the start of Lent. Shrove Tuesday was the traditionally the last opportunity to use up eggs and fats before embarking on the Lenten fast and pancakes are the perfect way of using up these ingredients.

This year Pancake Day is on Tuesday 13th February. Who doesn't like a good pancake? Traditionally, pancakes in the UK are not the same as the smaller and thicker American pancake or the thinner more elegant French crepe. They are 'in between' - fairly thin but not skinny! They can be savoury or sweet but when I was growing up they were made without sugar, then rolled and dowsed in lemon juice and sprinkled with sugar.

So please join in on Pancake Day by cooking some pancakes and posting pictures here. And tell us about your favourite pancakes!

Whey pancakes nearly all the time. :D

Whey pancakes with stuffed with yoghurt and blueberries for breakfast, two for me and one for the mutt, and six pancakes in the fridge ready for tonight :roflmao:

I used 1 mug of flour, 1 mug of whey, a pinch of bicarb, 1 tbsp olive oil, and 1 large egg, and whisked everything together. The pancakes are thicker than traditional English ones, so I made three and then added a drop more whey to the mix for the thinner English pancakes. There is no need to leave to stand. The mixture does not keep well, so I cook all the pancakes together. They reheat well. They also freeze well, and there is no need to thaw them out - just put them in a pan and reheat one at a time.

A delightful tradition!

In south Louisiana Shrove Tuesday is Mardi Gras. Difficult to describe. A HUGE street party - lots of parades with elaborately decorated floats. Riders also elaborately decorated tossing beads and trinkets to by standers. Lots of alcohol consumption. Music and dancing in the streets. More alcohol. I lived in NOLA for 4 years - the biggest Mardi Gras in the world. Too old for that foolishness now. Lafayette has it's own Mardi Gras - second largest to NOLA. Been there, done that, had a blast, got the T Shirt. Watch it on TV.

I really like your idea of pancakes. That may become a new tradition. I do the basic southern U.S. buttermilk pancake - sometimes plain, sometimes with fruit and/or nuts. Always slathered with lots of butter and drowned in syrup.

A day of pancakes would be fun to do. Sweet for breakfast then savory for lunch and dinner. I have tried crepes once. Not good. They either burned or got scrambled. That was a long time ago. I may try again.

Thanks for the idea.

...... they were made without sugar, then rolled and dowsed in lemon juice and sprinkled with sugar.

Exactly the way that I still cook and eat them (but with lime juice). Luvverly.

Last year's:

pancakes 2017 s.jpg

@yorkey, @morning glory - what is your batter recipe to get that "in-between" pancake? I like my thicker pancakes for breakfast - they soak up more syrup. Your cakes would be great for a savory application. How else do you use your pancakes. You really have my interest.

AAFRANCESCATORTILLAESP20180130_133401.jpg

I like Crepes Suzette .. we eat them for brunch on Sundays when we visit one of my daughter in law´s Creperie in Cadaques ..

In Spain, the day before Ash Wednesday, we eat Tortilla Española ( Spanish potato omelette which looks like a Fritatta circular round 8 egg omelette with just potatoes and onions ) ..

I am not too fond of sweet profiles and it is not very popular here ..

Have never prepared or eaten out ..

Have a nice day ..

Last edited:
We often eat gluten-free dairy-free banana pancakes or fritters for Sunday breakfast and honey or golden syrup is sometimes used to drown them. On Shrove Tuesday it has to be pancakes with lemon and sugar. My mum used to do a baked pancake dish with the pancaked rolled filled with chicken and covered in mushroom sauce. Breadcrumbs on top.

My favorite pancakes are German sour cream pancakes. They are so light, you'd swear they float off the plate.:happy: Of course coming in second would be potato pancakes, with sour cream and chunky apple sauce on the side.

Last edited:
@Yorky these are the quintessential British pancake. Perfect and exactly how I like them. Have you got a recipe posted on the forum already?

Flour, water and a pinch of bi-carb. That's it! I put a couple of drops of oil in the frying pan and then use a piece of kitchen paper to wipe it thinly over the surface.

Pancakes 5 s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom