Parental Foods

CraigC

Guru
Local time
9:05 PM
How many of you got stuck with your parents food preferences and won't eat anything else? Our daughter and granddaughters got stuck eating the food their father ate until he was no longer living with them. One of the big things was no cheese, except on pizza. I myself had parents that couldn't cook and it was the same ole week after week until the old man was no longer in the picture. Then my mom became the BK Steakhouse queen. There are several things they cooked that bring back childhood nightmares, baked spaghetti being one of them. To this day, no Velveeta nor Spam will enter our house.

Last edited:
Cooking skipped a generation in my family. My grandmother was a fantastic cook, but my mother was not at all interested. She fully embraced the emergence of convenience foods back in the seventies, and most of our meals came out of tins or packets. As soon as I moved away from home those preferences were left behind.

Somewhat, but not really, is that a good answer? :)

My dad never cooked until after he retired, and then it's just breakfast. Mom cooked every meal, every day, feeding up to 10 people at a meal, but except for a few things, I've never thought of her as a particularly good cook. All meat extra well done, that sort of thing.

My dad is a lot pickier than my mom with regards to eating. She'll generally try just about anything, and she'll like most things.

My parents never made nor ate fish or seafood. Neither do I (except for fish and chips and tuna salad sandwiches).

We never ate "foreign" food growing up, but now, I like all sorts of dishes from different cuisines, though many of them are Americanized versions.

Both my parents gag and retch at the smell or taste of garlic. I love it and usually double it up it my recipes.

Also, my parents don't drink any alcohol, and I've been known to enjoy a tipple now and again. :)

In general, I'd say I still like the stuff I grew up with (pork chops, chicken and dumplings, biscuits and gravy), but I'm open to a lot more things, but not everything. Usually, when I look at a new dish, I'm probably thinking, "Ok, what might be in that that I don't like?" - IOW, I think I look more for a reason not to try something new, than to take a chance and try it without knowing what's in it.

I've known a few people that won't "eat outside" what their parents ate. When I first started u/w hunting, my parents had no idea how to prepare the fish or lobster I brought home. Had to figure that out myself. Probably my love for seafood came from them, but they would never eat some of the seafood I like.

Last edited:
My dad preferred to eat what his mom ate, so my mom made it, and we all ate it. It was all overcooked, and had no seasonings.

It is safe to say that I did not get stuck in that food world. Although I like a lot of the same meats and veggies, I like them cooked decently. The first time I had steamed asparagus, it was an epiphany. Medium rare steak... what is this wonderful thing I am eating. And the biggest thing, fish that wasn't mush on a plate.

Sometimes my mom will say, "you never liked fish as a kid." I just giver the hairy eyeball, and she knows why. I have to give her credit for realizing that her cooking wasn't good. She does better now, but dad still likes overcooked food, like his mom made. It is his comfort food. But he likes my cooking, too. As long as it is ready for his strict eating schedule, and it is HOT. He's happy.

I'll be cooking for them most of this week. They have already put in their requests. I adapt my cooking for them, but not by much. Mostly to deal with my mom's dietary requirements, which I can now completely understand, thanks to my own.

CD

My dad preferred to eat what his mom ate, so my mom made it, and we all ate it. It was all overcooked, and had no seasonings.

It is safe to say that I did not get stuck in that food world. Although I like a lot of the same meats and veggies, I like them cooked decently. The first time I had steamed asparagus, it was an epiphany. Medium rare steak... what is this wonderful thing I am eating. And the biggest thing, fish that wasn't mush on a plate.

Sometimes my mom will say, "you never liked fish as a kid." I just giver the hairy eyeball, and she knows why. I have to give her credit for realizing that her cooking wasn't good. She does better now, but dad still likes overcooked food, like his mom made. It is his comfort food. But he likes my cooking, too. As long as it is ready for his strict eating schedule, and it is HOT. He's happy.

I'll be cooking for them most of this week. They have already put in their requests. I adapt my cooking for them, but not by much. Mostly to deal with my mom's dietary requirements, which I can now completely understand, thanks to my own.

CD

My nana was a good cook and baker. My mum was a good baker, not so good on food. Being a single parent family we lived on cheap cuts or processed meat. Sausages, saveloys ( processed spiced sausage) tripe mince beef a lot. I didn't eat a steak until I was about 19 or 20? By this time I was working two jobs so money was no issue. We ate out a lot at top end restaurants. I've replicated those great dishes that we still eat today. My kids were bought up where we ate out a lot as well. But I still cook some of those meals I had as a kid. Comfort food. Mince on toast. Rissoles and mash. (2nightscago) pea pie and pud. My kids are the same as me, we all like the same. I cook every Sunday for the family do I make thai Indian Italian and good old roasts. Mr 6s birthday is in two weeks so it's his choice of main and dessert. I asked last Sunday what he wanted, he said, garlic bread and butter chicken. A 6 yo? I don't know many would ask for that??
My mum boiled the guts out of everything, with a tablespoon of salt in each pot.

Russ

Last edited:
How many of you got stuck with your parents food preferences and won't eat anything else? Our daughter and granddaughters got stuck eating the food their father ate until he was no longer living with them. One of the big things was no cheese, except on pizza. I myself had parents that couldn't cook and it was the same ole week after week until the old man was no longer in the picture. Then my mom became the BK Steakhouse queen. There are several things they cooked that bring back childhood nightmares, baked spaghetti being one of them. To this day, no Velveeta nor Spam will enter our house.

Btw great topic.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom