Recipe Parsnip Soup

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:59 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across this today whilst the rain was lashing down on the window (albeit briefly - though storms are due later today) and it is rather cold out. It took my fancy and I could not help thinking it would warm me up nicely.

Parsnip soup

Ingredients
1tbsp Olive oil
1tbsp butter or marg
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
8 parsnips, peeled and chopped into centimetre chunks
500 ml milk or milk alternative
1 litre stock (veg or chicken if you prefer)
Sea salt to season

Method
  • Heat the olive oil and the butter/marg in a large saucepan on a low heat. Add the onion and garlic and gently fry for around 10 minutes, until the onions are soft and sweet, but without burning the garlic.
  • Add the chopped parsnip, milk and stock to the pan, season well and bring to the boil. Then simmer for about 30 minutes with a lid on.
  • Check that the parsnips are cooked by sticking a knife through them. They should be soft. When cooked remove them from the heat, cool and liquidize/blend well.
  • If you want to, pass the soup through a fine sieve to get the super smooth constancy (optional).
  • Serve with a good hunk of warm crusty bread.

That looks delicious. I never had parsnips growing up, but began exploring the vegetables I remembered reading about in Peter Rabbit and other stories as an adult. I found I absolutely love parsnips and turnips. I may just have to try that soup. It looks like a wonderful meal for a cold rainy day.

I did not discover parsnips until I was an adult either, and I really like them in soup. This recipe looks like a nice creamy way to warm the soul on a cold rainy day.

Back
Top Bottom