Pasta al forno (oven baked pasta)

Ella

Veteran
Local time
5:07 PM
I enjoy making pasta bakes and adding different topping and sauces. Usually I don't cook the pasta beforehand, but this time I added some gnocchi in and it didn't cook through.

Do you find it better to pre cook the pasta slightly or let the sauce do the cooking? It depends on the pasta used, so I am going to try a wholewheat pasta one which takes longer and may need some pre cooking.

It seems an odd combination to me to put pasta with gnocchi and the expect it to cook in an oven. I would imagine that there was probably insufficient liquid because the gnocchi will have absorbed quite a lot more than I think you realise.

It was an experiment and I'm still experimenting! I like to bake gnocchi with some creamy sauces, but I will cook the gnocchi first this time and then add the sauce. I 'm going to try a topping of breadcrumbs and onions with some spinach too.

I always cook the pasta in advance of baking it in the oven. The only time I've ever tried using raw noodles in a pasta dish in the oven was with those no-cook lasagna noodles, but we weren't very pleased with the results from them either since they too cooked unevenly. The key thing I do though after boiling the pasta is to let it rest in the drainer until the steam stops rising off of it, and I give it a few stirs as well to release the excess heat and moisture from the center of the mound of pasta. That way know its dried off enough that it won't make the baked pasta dish all watery and soupy by giving off too much excess liquid during the cooking process. I will also slightly under cook it a bit too, so it soaks up some of the sauce while it bakes.

Gnocchi sounds interesting, but challenging for a couple reasons - they are rather delicate, especially the really fresh stuff, and can kind of disintegrate into the sauce. Also they are very rich, so I would be careful about what sauce and cheese I pair them with.

My favorite way to make baked pasta is with marinara, diced smoked ham, dollops of seasoned ricotta (some egg, parmesan, herbs, salt and pepper) nestled into the pasta, diced hard boiled eggs (this is traditional from what I've read, I believe it's more common in Sicily), and topped with mozarella.

Back
Top Bottom