Pasta Machines

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
5:15 AM
The only time that I ever make my own home made Pasta is Egg Noodles, usually thick and Dumpling-like.

Being curious about making home made Pasta and wondering just how versatile Pasta Machines can be, I did some web searches and will share the most interesting here...

Seven Best Pasta Machines 2020

It would appear that the manual machines are very versatile and cost least, about $50 to $70 US. The Electric Machines are more expensive (over $120) and I'm not impressed that they share in versatility with the Manual Machines.

I have a manual one - problem is it doesn't fit easily onto a worktop unless I open a cupboard door (its a clamp mechanism). It needs a kitchen table which I do not have. I rarely use it. If you intend making a lot of pasta a machine is worth getting. Otherwise I reckon a rolling pin and a bit of elbow grease suffices. Roll until your sheet of pasta is nearly transparent. Use plenty of flour or fine semolina on the rolling surface.

I too have a manual machine - bought second-hand, but unused off fleabay for £20. It has all sorts of attachments, but to be honest I only ever use the roller. My home-made pasta is either tagliatelle or ravioli, both are easier cut by hand.

I have a manual one - problem is it doesn't fit easily onto a worktop unless I open a cupboard door (its a clamp mechanism). It needs a kitchen table which I do not have. I rarely use it. If you intend making a lot of pasta a machine is worth getting. Otherwise I reckon a rolling pin and a bit of elbow grease suffices. Roll until your sheet of pasta is nearly transparent. Use plenty of flour or fine semolina on the rolling surface.

Did you notice a considerable difference over store bought when you were making your own pasta?

I just borrowed some books on Keto menus so I'm trying to stay away from carbs but I really want to try making my own (you make it sound easy ;-) when I finish my Keto plan.

I too have a manual machine - bought second-hand, but unused off fleabay for £20. It has all sorts of attachments, but to be honest I only ever use the roller. My home-made pasta is either tagliatelle or ravioli, both are easier cut by hand.

Did you notice a considerable difference over store bought?

I often make gnocchi, any shape and any ingredient, also stuffed, “chicche”, sardinian gnocchetti, Pisarei (gnocchi made with flour and breadcrumb) and orecchiette (ok they are not gnocchi) they not required the use of a pasta machine of course. Same for pizzoccheri (a sort of tagliatelle made with buckwheat flour). But there are some kind of pasta that required the pasta machine - at least for me. I’ve owned a pasta machine for years but then it’s broken, so I haven’t had the chance for some time to make fresh pasta again with it.
Recently I’ve inherited a pasta machine which I haven’t used yet but I will soon and my first fresh pasta will be tagliatelle and ravioli del plin where the pasta sheet needs to be very very thin.

Last edited:
I used to have an Imperia manual machine...it was fine but I had the same problem as Morning Glory that it didn't clamp to the worktop very well. I now have the pasta roller attachment for my KitchenAid and its much easier.

I love making pasta. To be honest its no better than good quality bought pasta, but its fun to make and it does taste different. I occasionally do ravioli but mostly just plain tagliatelle or pappardelle.

Never owned one, we only make pasta for ravioli here once in a blue moon.In the UK we cheated by using fresh won ton skins. I much prefer quality dried to fresh supermarket pasta.

I did some digging on the web, looking for a machine that would do at least Rotini like spirals and could not find anything. I would think that if a machine could do that, it could do anything.

I found an Italian made machine called the Mercado Atlas 150 that it said to be the Ferrari of Pasta Machines. It has 12 extra attachments, but I can't find any mention of what they are.

Anybody familiar with the Atlas machine?

flyinglentris a number of restaurants in Liverpool ( the oldest Chinese community in Europe) would on Saturday night give this demonstration of noodle making without a machine.

I don't advocate buying Pasta Machines, not yet, anyway. I don't plan to get one. But they do interest me enough to go researching how they work.

For any following keto, i saw something about keto friendly flour as a new product on my news feed on my tablet. I think it was king Arthur flour.

I have a manual one, it clamps to the worktop but I need to open a drawer so it can fit and cover the open drawer with a cloth so it doesn't get full of flour. I rarely use mine, I still don't get the hang of it. First time I used it I was trying to make ravioli for dinner and it took me 3 hours to make a dozen huge, nasty looking ravioli :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom