Recipe Pastel de nata (egg tart pastry)

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
3:16 PM
1600865221027.png

(Picture from teleculinaria.pt)

This maybe the most well known portuguese dessert. The original ones are small but in my family we cook what we call "a giant pastel de nata", basically we make it in a pie pan for the sake of convenience. I have to admit it's been a couple of years since I last made one, and I don't even like it, but since it's such a widely known staple just wanted to share it with you.

Recipes vary a bit, with the best and most famous pastel de nata being in Pastel de Bélem, but their recipe is a secret.

- 7,5dl milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 300g sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 piece lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 piece round puff pastry

1. Heat milk (you can do this in the microwave). With a mixer, mix egg yolks with sugar and the flour; add the milk.
2. Heat the mix on a pan on the stovetop, along with lemon peel and cinnamon stick, and let it thicken. Remove lemon peel and cinnamon stick.
3. Put puff pastry on a pie pan. Add the filling and get it on the oven pre-heated to 200ºC, 25minutes. Serve with confectionary sugar and cinnamon powder.

Happy cooking!

Last edited:
Mmm... natas, I love them. We always eat and bring 'em along when we visit Funchal (my parents hold a time-share there). Sadly natas can´t be stored for more than a day. I´ve never cooked them myself. Thanks for the recipe, LissaC! Muito obrigada.

Last edited:
View attachment 46868
(Picture from teleculinaria.pt)

This maybe the most well known portuguese dessert. The original ones are small but in my family we cook what we call "a giant pastel de nata", basically we make it in a pie pan for the sake of convenience. I have to admit it's been a couple of years since I last made one, and I don't even like it, but since it's such a widely known stable just wanted to share it with you.

Recipes vary a bit, with the best and most famous pastel de nata being in Pastel de Bélem, but their recipe is a secret.

- 7,5dl milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 300g sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 piece lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 piece round puff pastry

1. Heat milk (you can do this in the microwave). With a mixer, mix egg yolks with sugar and the flour; add the milk.
2. Heat the mix on a pan on the stovetop, along with lemon peel and cinnamon stick, and let it thicken. Remove lemon peel and cinnamon stick.
3. Put puff pastry on a pie pan. Add the filling and get it on the oven pre-heated to 200ºC, 25minutes. Serve with confectionary sugar and cinnamon powder.

Happy cooking!

You just made me smile! Oh Pasteis de Nata, how much I love them, and how many of them I’ve eaten at Pastel de Bélem.. right, their recipe is a secret and it’s a great secret
Thank you for sharing this recipe! A giant pastel de nata sounds intriguing
I only tried to make the standard version of PdN and I’ve used about 6 egg yolks
I’ll try yours soon

Back
Top Bottom