Peanut Butter & Salt

Do you add salt to your peanut butter sandwich?

• Total voters

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:27 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I watched today as my step-father (whom I have known for around 7 years) made himself a sandwich at lunchtime. Nothing unusual about that except for what he did next..

Once the toast was cold he covered it in a very liberal covering of salted butter, then he added a thick layer of peanut butter and finally a covering of coarsely ground sea salt and not just a thin scattering of salt either but a very liberal dose of it - probably the best part of 1/2-1 teaspoon of coarsely ground sea salt. Thankfully he only made the one round of toast. It wasn't as though it was even a wholefoods peanut butter without salt, it was Reese's Creamy Peanut butter which I am sure is already laden with salt as it is! :eek: :sick:

Has anyone else ever come across something like this?

Never seen it. It certainly sounds strange but I'm going to be honest and say that if I'd have peanut butter around the house I would probably try this!

wow! He's got some interesting taste buds! I like salt, but I think that much would make me gag. Back when I first got married hubby used to buy O's (cereal) just to dump over a huge bowl of ice cream and then proceed to put creamer all over the top. Ugh! I could never understand that one either :)

Hmm, no, I haven't.

Now I've seen salted peanut butter cookies. And I've seen several dessert items that involve peanut butter and chocolate that are then topped with a bit of salt. It's supposed to enhance the flavor and give it that extra "something." I don't see any particular reason to just add that much sea salt to plain PB and toast, though.

Do you happen to know if he's always done this? He may have a particular craving that's being sparked by a nutrient deficiency. He probably just likes it, though, hehe.

I know that many people like salted peanuts, but this is an Idea I haven't heard of before. The peanut butter I prefer ( Smucker's Natural) has very little added salt. For boiled peanuts, I do prefer added salt.

That actually sounds pretty bad! Think of all that sodium intake if you added that much salt! It would be more acceptable if it was sugar, but salt is quite strange. I like salted peanuts but I cannot imagine the taste for peanut butter. Haha! To each his own :)

I remember my grandfather piling the salt on his food. He suffered from hypertension. He wouldn't even bother to taste the food first. My grandmother used a lot of salt in her cooking anyhow and there was no need to add more salt. Fortunately I did not pick up that habit. Salt is something I will use out of necessity when cooking, but only rarely would I feel the need to add it to my food.

Back
Top Bottom