Perfect Lasagna for Picky Eaters

karadawn

Veteran
Local time
6:04 AM
I personally love lasagna, but hate ricotta cheese. I know some have recommended using cottage cheese, but I can't get over the texture and color. So instead, we only use shredded cheese, meat, tomato-base sauce, and noodles in our lasagna. To give it just a bit more flavor, I always add spices to the hamburger like garlic salt, pepper, or Italian spices.

Another aspect that can change a lasagna completely is the type of noodles used. We usually buy the "oven ready" packages of noodles, but last night we had to cook the noodles first. I thought it made all the difference and tasted WAY better using the not-so-easy noodles instead of the oven-ready ones. It made me think how much better it would have been making homemade noodles instead, but I just don't have that kind of skill (or equipment!).

What do you put in your lasagna? Do you replace traditional ingredients with something else? What type of noodles do you usually use?

Try experimenting with different types of cheese in it. I have used just about any kind of cheese including goat and cottage. The noodles can be problematic - I love lasagna but can't get into the noodles. I will slice up eggplant or squash and use those for noodles, I like that far better than the pasta in it.

I like ricotta cheese, but when I'm cooking for someone who doesn't or when I simply don't have any on hand, I use a cream cheese and milk mixture instead.

Sure, I could skip it entirely, but I like having the 'creamy' layer in between since I think it adds a nice touch to the whole dish.

Back
Top Bottom