Perilla Seeds.

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
4:45 PM
My wife came home with "perilla seeds" last week. It appears that they are good for making oil but not much else. My wife eats them raw.

Any ideas?

There are recipes for Korean soups made with ground perilla seed powder. I have yet to try them.

I have, however, eaten perilla leaf. They are frequently found in Korean pancakes, some of which are vegetarian, some of which contain seafood. The leaf is also often added as ambiance on Japanese sushi platters. It is in the mint family. I like it. Another name for it is shiso.

I do have perilla seed here ... but mine is in a seed packet I plan to plant come spring. Maybe I should taste some....

I do have perilla seed here ... but mine is in a seed packet I plan to plant come spring. Maybe I should taste some....

You have to run them through warm/cold cycles (warm room temp/freezer) or scarify them, otherwise it can be difficult to get them to sprout. It also has to be pretty warm and/or in full Sun for a decent portion of the day. They can also take FOREVER to sprout. It took almost 30 days the first time I planted them. I was about to give up and had contacted seller as they guaranteed they would grow, then later that day little green sprouts started popping up.

You have to run them through warm/cold cycles (warm room temp/freezer) or scarify them, otherwise it can be difficult to get them to sprout. It also has to be pretty warm and/or in full Sun for a decent portion of the day. They can also take FOREVER to sprout. It took almost 30 days the first time I planted them. I was about to give up and had contacted seller as they guaranteed they would grow, then later that day little green sprouts started popping up.

Thanks for this info! I'll be sure to follow through!

Back
Top Bottom