Philippinean - Mountain dishes

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
7:35 AM
This thread is really about dishes that are exotic or not common.

There is a mountain in Bulacan province that my husband used to go for hunting birds, deer and wild boar. When there is a catch, their aeta friend in that mountain would cook the catch for them. My husband said that rice is put in a bamboo with water inside and cooked on open fire. The taste of the rice is so delicious and the environment (of the mountain) adds flavor to the rice.

I have never had rice cooked on an open fire. I imagine it might have a slightly smokey taste, which sounds very good. How is the meat prepared? Is it also roasted over the fire?

I've seen (on TV), the rice cooked in bamboo. Can't remember what the country was, but possibly in the Philippines. Wonderful!

That sounds like it would be delicious. I am convinced that any food just tastes better when it is prepared and eaten in the mountains. There is something about the smell and atmosphere.

That sounds like it would be delicious. I am convinced that any food just tastes better when it is prepared and eaten in the mountains. There is something about the smell and atmosphere.

Agreed, ovens and microwaves are fine for what they are but they don't add and flavour so cooking outside with what Mother Nature provides for cooking implements is something I would love to try.

Back
Top Bottom