Recipe Picante Volcánico (Volcano Hot Sauce)

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
6:05 PM
Ingredients:
500 gms mixed hot peppers, roughly chopped (or hot peppers of your choice)
350 gms onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, cut into pieces
120 mls vegetable oil
1 lt white wine vinegar or a mixture of white vinegar and wine vinegar
1 1/2 tbsps annato powder OR paprika
3 tbsps salt
1 tbsp ground black pepper

Method:
  • Put all the ingredients in a large pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium, put a lid on the pan and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until all the ingredients are soft.
  • Remove from the pan and put into a food processor. Blend until smooth. (You may have to do this in batches)
  • If the sauce is too thick, add a little more vinegar.
  • Bottle and store. This keeps perfectly well out of the fridge. Should make about 7-8 150 ml bottles.
    Picante Volcánico.jpg

I have made salsas, but never my own hot sauce. I may try yours. I'll probably substitute unfiltered apple cider vinegar, because it is my favorite vinegar.

I'll probably wait until my pepper garden is producing fruit again. That should be around end of September, early October. Another decade of global warming, and I'll be harvesting peppers at Christmas.

CD

This sauce was really a sort of "let's clean out the fridge" recipe, but it's very flexible.
To begin with, I only used white or red wine vinegar, because the quality was so much better than "white" vinegar.
Then came one economic crisis after another and I started using 50:50... and so on! Apple cider vinegar would work great.

Back
Top Bottom