Pickled Onions

Those little red onions are the cutest things! Are all onions in short supply or just the little ones? What will you do with them after they are pickled?

We managed to obtain a few small onions which have been in short supply here for some time.

Preparing for pickling.

Curried pickled onions.

Those little red onions are the cutest things! Are all onions in short supply or just the little ones? What will you do with them after they are pickled?

Only the small ones are in short supply and they have been for a long time. Plenty of the larger variety, brown or white skinned.

Do with them? Eat them of course.

Do with them? Eat them of course.

Many, many years ago some friends and I were sat on the stoep having a beer (an Aussie, a Belgian, and a Dutchman) and I had provided a large jar of pickled onions from the fridge. Another, younger Aussie turned up and was flabbergasted that we were eating raw onions (each had a fork). We finally persuaded him to try one and lo and behold, he thought they were marvelous.

Well I know some people put pickled onion into cocktails or as ingredients for entrees but did not know about eating them straight.

They were sold like that in the chippies in the UK. I don't know if they still are.
I've not seen them in our chippy. Some pubs still have big jars of pickled eggs though.

Pickled onions have made a comeback as an 'artisan' food in the UK. Our local farmers market had a stall dedicated to them, many different flavours being available.

I've not seen them in our chippy. Some pubs still have big jars of pickled eggs though.

Pickled onions have made a comeback as an 'artisan' food in the UK. Our local farmers market had a stall dedicated to them, many different flavours being available.

Do I remember "pickled onion flavoured crisps"? Or is it my imagination?

So now do we have "crisp flavoured pickled onions"?

Well I know some people put pickled onion into cocktails or as ingredients for entrees but did not know about eating them straight.

There used to be places in Maryland that sold medium size boiling onions, pickled in 5 gallon glass jars. I used to eat them until someone made me stop. Man those were really good.

Do I remember "pickled onion flavoured crisps"? Or is it my imagination?

So now do we have "crisp flavoured pickled onions"?
Yes, I do remember something about pickled onion flavoured crisps.

You can have any flavour you want. Just drop it into a jar of regular pickled onions, and it magically trebles their value! We bought Balsamic pickled onions, pickled onions with chilli and Marmite flavoured pickled onions, three modest jars for £10.

I buy Walker's pickled onions crisps every time I go to the international market (as long as they're in stock).

Back
Top Bottom