Pickled Onions

Well I know some people put pickled onion into cocktails or as ingredients for entrees but did not know about eating them straight.
They were sold like that in the chippies in the UK. I don't know if they still are.

Yes indeed they are. They are also a de rigueur with a Ploughman's Lunch. I'm sure Yorky has a photo of a Ploughman's Lunch.

Yes indeed they are. They are also a de rigueur with a Ploughman's Lunch. I'm sure Yorky has a photo of a Ploughman's Lunch.

I certainly have. Although there are not many pickled onions.

Ever had pickled cipollini onions?

I don't think we have them here. I learned:

native to Boretto, Italy and were first cultivated in the 1400s. Originally grown for domestic distribution, the Cipollini onion became widespread as the bulbs traveled across Europe and subsequently to America with Italian immigrants.

Do they taste very different from other onions?

I havnt made pickled onions for two years, I'm still getting through stocks built up. I make around 30kgs a year, friends do swaps with me. I will do again this summer. The pic I put up earlier is in a 20 litre jars. I decant into 300 mls jars.

Russ

They were sold like that in the chippies in the UK. I don't know if they still are.
I've not seen a jar of pickled 'things' in a chippy for years. Eggs, onions, wallies... I wonder if it's a southern thing? We get gravy, mushy peas and curry sauce in the midlands. Pickled eggs are served in pubs in Suffolk dropped into a bag of crisps.

Last edited:
My wife obtained these from the market on Monday. I soaked them overnight in brine and today washed, dried and jarred them with a few hot chilli peppers and white vinegar.

That jar has been in the fridge for 4 months. I tried one today. It should carry a Government Health Warning!

That jar has been in the fridge for 4 months. I tried one today. It should carry a Government Health Warning!

They've now been in the fridge for over 6 months. Probably even spicier but still very crisp.

Back
Top Bottom