Recipe Pickled Onions

Ramana

Local time
6:35 AM
Website
easytocookrecipesforbeginners.blogspot.com
Pickled Onions (Ginger, Vinegar & Green Chilies)
You will find them in any Indian restaurants you visit. They are served as an accompaniment to main course Indian meal. The pink color and tanginess makes them even tastier. These onions are small in size and are completely soaked in vinegar along with beetroot to give them pink color. When these are prepared, they can be stored in an air tight container dipped in vinegar along with beetroot to make their taste similar to the one we get in restaurants. In 2-3 days, it will get the color and the taste.
Pickled-Onions.jpg

Ingredients
Pickled-onions-ingredients.jpg

12 nos. - Red onions
1/2 cup - Vinegar
2 big - Green Chilies
2inch julienne - Ginger
2 slices - Beetroot
1tsp - Himalayan pink salt

Preparation
1) Peel all the onions and put them in a bowl/ container.
2) Wash them thoroughly.
3) Transfer them to a bowl and add vinegar.
4) Add green chilies, salt, ginger and beetroot.
5) Leave them soaked in the solution for 2-3 days.
6) After 3 days taste one onion, it should be little tangy and red color would also have come by now.
7) Serve as an accompaniment with main dish along with mint chutney(optional).

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting recipe, Ramana !
I love the idea of making them pink with the beetroot, and the ginger & chiles to add bite.
Mine are a bit like Yorkies - I use a mix of white wine vinegar and white vinegar, and spices are usually coriander seeds, peppercorn, bay leaf, mustard seeds and dried chile peppers.

Interesting recipe, Ramana !
I love the idea of making them pink with the beetroot, and the ginger & chiles to add bite.
Mine are a bit like Yorkies - I use a mix of white wine vinegar and white vinegar, and spices are usually coriander seeds, peppercorn, bay leaf, mustard seeds and dried chile peppers.

I tend to keep away from coriander seeds. I have used them in the past but I find they give a sweetness to the onions. Or at least what I perceive to be a sweetness.

I always add a pinch of sugar to my onions as well. The coriander does add a touch of sweetness and a vague, orangy flavour.

Back
Top Bottom