Pie Press or Moulds

ScandiBrit

Local time
9:38 AM
Hi

Does anyone here use pie moulds for making smaller pies, meaning the sort of hand size take away size pies?
Thanks
Rich

Hi

Does anyone here use pie moulds for making smaller pies, meaning the sort of hand size take away size pies?
Thanks
Rich
Yes, I have one somewhere that I bought a few years ago when experimenting with pork pies. Will dig it out and photograph. Why do you ask?

I'm not sure which sort you mean. I use individual size metal pie dishes. Like this - they are 4 inches across:

But there are also moulds that make something that looks like a Cornish Pastie:

Will dig it out and photograph. Why do you ask?

I think this is partially duplicating another thread by ScandiBrit: Meat Pie Making.

[Mod. Note: I think maybe I should merge the two threads]

hi
I just wanted to make a small batch of handsize pies and my 'moulding' skills have a bit area for growth and I heard once you can get some sort of press to take the leg work out of it
Rich

hi
I just wanted to make a small batch of handsize pies and my 'moulding' skills have a bit area for growth and I heard once you can get some sort of press to take the leg work out of it
Rich

Sure. But I'm still wondering what shape pie you want to make. Its sounding like you are wanting to make pies like this?

1585999430961.png

If so you can use a mould like second one I pictured above. But quite honestly its really easy to make them without a mould.

Usually, the problem with forming hand pies is getting the filling amount right and getting it placed right. After that, it's simply a matter of folding over and crimping shut.

I've never used a mold for pies like that, so I don't know if having one would help with the portioning and placement of filling. The only real advantage I can see to a mold like that is if you're after extremely uniform pies.

CraigC & TastyReuben - I was thinking you were spelling mould incorrectly but I now have learned it is the US spelling. In the UK 'mold' is fungus and 'mould' is a hollow container for shaping things.

CraigC & TastyReuben - I was thinking you were spelling mould incorrectly but I now have learned it is the US spelling. In the UK 'mold' is fungus and 'mould' is a hollow container for shaping things.
"Mold" also means that for us. I'd be well within my rights to say, "Don't use that pie mold! There's mold on it!" :laugh:

This is the one I use for pork pies. It's made by Lakeland, has a loose bottom and is 10cm in diameter and depth. I doubt you could make a proper pork pie of this size without a mould.

Hi

Sorry for confusing! So something like making this, and I heard that you can buy something that your press and it moulds the shape . . or maybe I misunderstood!!

Last edited by a moderator:
For that kind of pie, I use:

Exactly the same as mine.

If you put pastry in a tin such as the one shown by TastyReuben and then add the filling, all you need to do is add a lid and crimp it round. Is very simple to do.

But if you want to buy something then this is what you need. And it cooks them for you as well!

1586015194503.png

£30 from here

Here is another version:

1586015288774.png

£23 from Harts of Stur

Says it cooks pies in 15 mins!

I'm now a little tempted...

Back
Top Bottom