Pigs in a blanket

Biscuits in a tin?
Picture-9.png

I'll put the kettle on

It's funny because I've heard the expression "pigs in a blanket" used to describe multiple types of dishes that are quite different from each other. Some are referring to sausages rolled in dough, while other recipes are more like a traditional stuffed cabbage. I always try to clarify what people are referring to when they bring up pigs in a blanket so I know what they are actually talking about if perhaps, they sign up for it for a potluck or something like that.

In fact, as I'm typing this, I'm starting to think about some sort of recipe making stuffed cabbage with savoy cabbage, but making them all finger sized, like stuffed grape leaves. I know some people don't care for lamb (for the meat variety of stuffed grape leaves), while others such as myself find the meatless stuffed grape leaves rather bland and sometimes too chewy.

I very rarely make the dough version of pigs in a blanket, just because I try to avoid too many processed foods. But when I do I definitely go with a more boldly flavored sausage of some sort as opposed to a plain hot dog, which I feel is too bland. I prefer a smaller, dryer aged and or smoked sausage.

Pigs in blankets are sausages wrapped in bacon. Served with mash potato and gravy :hungry:[/QUOTE

Omgosh this sounds delightful. I can't wait to try them. I have to go to the grocery store in a bit so I think I may pick up what I need. I think I know what's for dinner today.

I feel this has regional variations to me it is a chipolata rolled in streaky bacon served with roast turkey ,but I have it seen sausages rolled in cheese pastry ,so the identity changes .....

Canned biscuits come in the refrigerator section of your grocery store and Pillsbury is usually the company that makes them. You can get canned crescent rolls, several types of biscuits as well as different varieties of sweet rolls and pizza dough.
Pigs in a blanket<<< at my house they can be made with either small cooked sausage links or hot dogs> If they are made with sausage I serve them with eggs for breakfast. If made with hot dogs they are either for lunch or dinner with canned pork and beans. I like to wrap them either in crescent rolls or some type of canned biscuits. I tried doing them with a home made biscuit dough, but there was just to much biscuit.
My grandson loves them either way.

I have hot dogs in the fridge, and have been considering making pigs in a blanket. If I do, I'll be making my own dough, since I just used up my lone package of refrigerated biscuits. I do have some Bisquick on hand though, so I guess I could formulate something out of that. I will brown the hot dogs in a pan first though, because I definitely like mine with a little crisp to them, before wrapping them in the dough and baking in the oven.

I'v e had pigs in a blanket with mini hot dogs or cocktail wieners and full size hot dogs wrapped in crescent roll dough and baked. I haven't had these since I was a kids. I loved eating these. I think I will have to make these for my kids this weekend. I can even remember having fancier ones where my mom would cut a slice into each hotdog and put a piece of cheese inside each one so when you bit in you got a bite of melted cheese.

We get our pigs in a blanket from the restaurant it is a sauage wrapped in a pancake. I have not had pigs in a blanket in some time, they are a good breakfast item for me.

Yours are pretty well authentic British pigs in blankets (except we would use mini pork sausages instead of hot dogs).
Thank goodness. I've used the sausages as well. Yet when I did a quick search I can't remember seeing one recipe like that everything was cover with some sort of pastry. I have to tell you it came as a big surprise. I guess I am a lot to learn,

Thank goodness. I've used the sausages as well. Yet when I did a quick search I can't remember seeing one recipe like that everything was cover with some sort of pastry. I have to tell you it came as a big surprise. I guess I am a lot to learn,
In my book, if they are covered in pastry they are sausage rolls!

sausage.jpg

We don't have pigs in a blanket here but maybe you would be interested asparagus wrapped in bacon on a stick like a barbecue. The 3 pieces on a stick costs $1 only in the eatery inside the mall. That is my husband's favorite because he said asparagus is very nutritious and barbecued asparagus is the best. However, when I sampled it, the asparagus is quite sturdy, hard to the bite. Well, the trick is you have to cut it by knife in bite sized pieces for easier eating.

Back
Top Bottom