Legendary Member
Local time
11:25 AM
Ingredients
  • • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • • 1 cup water
  • • 2 cups dianthus petals coarsely chopped
Directions
Put sugar and water into a non aluminium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until it thickens to a syrup consistency. Add the chopped dianthus petals and gently simmer, stirring frequently until pulpy. Pour into sterilised jars and allow to cool to room temperature. Once cool, place in the fridge and eat within 3 weeks.

What does it taste like? I'd love to see a pic if you ever get one, this sounds do delightful and refreshing to me. I love the idea of growing plants and flowers and using them for food, tea and healing. Here's a link to an article about growing edibles, in case anyone's interested. It's just a short piece, but is enough to get someone started. https://www.garden.org/ediblelandscaping/?page=edible-flowers

Ingredients
  • • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • • 1 cup water
  • • 2 cups dianthus petals coarsely chopped
Directions
Put sugar and water into a non aluminium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until it thickens to a syrup consistency. Add the chopped dianthus petals and gently simmer, stirring frequently until pulpy. Pour into sterilised jars and allow to cool to room temperature. Once cool, place in the fridge and eat within 3 weeks.

This is an interesting one. Short and sweet perhaps in every sense of the word. The sad thing is that I have no clue if these flowers are anywhere around here. It's not to say I would try it, but you never know.

That looks very interesting, however, I don't know that we have dianthus in the United States. I wonder if there is a similar bloom we could use. I think over here though people may use elderberry flower for jelly or some other types of blossoms, I am not sure. It is just one of the things that I',m not sure about because I haven't ever made jelly.

Seems to be non native to America

"Dianthus
is a genus of about 300 species of flowering plants in the family Caryophyllaceae, native mainly to Europe and Asia, with a few species extending south to north Africa, and one species (D. repens) in arctic North America. Common names include carnation (D. caryophyllus), pink (D. plumarius and related species) and sweet william (D. barbatus)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dianthus

Back
Top Bottom