The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
3:47 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
5bfaea28-241d-4a4a-bfe2-bf8bc0943ae5-jpeg.jpg

I bought some hummus at the market, and I naturally wanted pita bread to dip in the hummus. But, the only kind they had was the flat, pocket-type pita bread. So, I made some. And, yes, I am aware that pita means flatbread, so it's a bit redundant to call it pita bread. But, just calling it pita sounds like a name, so I find myself calling it pita bread.

But, enough of the exciting back story of this recipe. When I've made a pita (bread) in the past, I've done so in a pan on the stove, once in a cast iron pan. It turned out great. But, I just learned about using a pizza stone shortly before I made this recipe, and I decided to give it a try. I loved the results, since it gives the bread a chance to rise before it has a chance to burn. And, I haven't used my pizza stone in over a year, so it was good to use it again.

And, about, the choice of flour. I have seen pita recipes with only all purpose flour, and I have made it that way before. They're good, but they miss something when compared to the genuine article that I had while in Athens. Most recipes mix in wheat flour, but I went with buckwheat. It's subtle, but I like the nuttiness of buckwheat flour here.

Finally, the salt content. My wife and son both said that it tasted "a bit salty", but in my opinion it was simply that they aren't used to pita bread having a flavor. I get that bread is supposed to be a neutral backdrop to other tastier things, but I like how the salt brings out the flavor of the bread.

Ingredients

1 packet instant yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

Directions

1. Mix yeast, sugar, buckwheat flour, and warm water together in the mixing bowl. Allow to proof at room temperature for 10 minutes, until the surface get foamy. Note the beautiful spots from the buckwheat flour.

2. In a mixer equipped with dough hooks, blend in the all purpose flour a little bit at a time, scraping down the sides of the mixer from time to time. Once all the flour is added to the bowl, and just started to combine, stop the mixer to prevent overmixing. Turn out the dough onto a generously floured surface, and knead by hand until the flour is fully combined with the dough. Brush the inside of the mixing bowl with oil. Roll the dough into a ball, place in the bowl, and cover with cling wrap. Allow to sit at room temperature until doubled in size, at least an hour.

3. Turn out dough from bowl onto a generously floured surface. Knead out any dry spots, and divide into 8 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball, then roll out into a disc shape.

4. Allow the rolled-out discs to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes while heating a pizza stone in the oven to 500°F (260°C). Cover discs with a damp towel, preferably one you bought the last time you were in Greece.

5. Place discs on the pizza stone. Bake for 2 minutes, then flip over. Continue baking until baked to to a golden brown. Serve immediately, or place on a cooling rack for a few minutes, then seal in zipper bag to prevent them from drying out. 2141D45D-E368-4D9B-A41C-CD1D3E4A7B7E.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks really great! I´m really happy you made your own and it worked out for you.
I´ve made it a few times (no buckwheat flour available in Venezuela, unfortunately) and sometimes it works out really well, other times not so good, but at least you get the satisfaction of saying " I did it!"
I haven´t got a pizza stone at home, but I HAVE got some huge ceramic tiles - which is what I use.
Salt? It´s more than I´d use, but it depends on everyone´s taste. AND, only because I´ve seen various recipes which preach about salt lessening the "rise" of the yeast. Not a bread expert, so I couldn´t say.

That looks really great! I´m really happy you made your own and it worked out for you.
I´ve made it a few times (no buckwheat flour available in Venezuela, unfortunately) and sometimes it works out really well, other times not so good, but at least you get the satisfaction of saying " I did it!"
I haven´t got a pizza stone at home, but I HAVE got some huge ceramic tiles - which is what I use.
Salt? It´s more than I´d use, but it depends on everyone´s taste. AND, only because I´ve seen various recipes which preach about salt lessening the "rise" of the yeast. Not a bread expert, so I couldn´t say.

If you can get wheat flour, that would certainly work just as well. If not, it bakes the same way with 100% AP flour.

My pizza stone is ceramic, so ceramic tile would work exactly the same way...and, probably better, because you might be able to get more surface area in the oven with a square shape, so you could cook more at the same time.

And, from everything I've read, all salt does in small quantities is slow down the growth of yeast. So, it would take longer for the dough to rise. In my case, I made the dough, covered it in a bowl, then went to see a movie with my family. I was gone for maybe 3 hours, and the dough had doubled in size.

Having said that, I have always added the salt with the flour when making bread, and not mixed into the initial proofing of the yeast. Actually, I think I did add the salt in step 1 once, and I concluded it was a bad batch of yeast when it didn't proof. :laugh:

I should add that I do think the pizza stone (or tile) worked so well because it evenly distributes and holds the heat. A cast iron pan would work the same way, and in fact I use that for making naan bread. But, there, I'm looking for some scorching of the bread, something I don't do with a pita (at least not intentionally!)

Back
Top Bottom