Pizza vs calzone

cefmac

Veteran
Local time
11:17 AM
I love pizza, and I eat it quite frequently, but I must say, I really like calzone as well. For me, calzone is more of a treat as I only ever have it when I'm at a restaurant. There's not much difference in flavour, but I like the fact that calzone takes up less room on a plate so can be accompanied by salad (strange reason I know, but if I'm eating something unhealthy like pizza or calzone...I want my greens to add a little extra nutritional value!). I've never made my own calzone, but it's something I'd like to try someday.

Which do you prefer?

I used to work at a pizza shop and we would use the day old dough to make calzones and stromboli's (the difference between the two being that the later has sauce, and the former doesn't). For that reason alone I would be more inclined to just order a pizza since the dough was fresher and would rise more. Plus, you don't get that golden crusty top on the cheese like you do with a pizza.

The only times I would consider a calzone/stromboli instead was if I wasn't in the mood to "share" with everyone, lol. There are a few of my friends who are major tightwads and if we all go out for pizza, they will just order a side salad saying they aren't very hungry, then wind up eating half of our pizza and never offering to pitch in. We've learned over the years when they are around, to skip the whole "one check" thing and all get separate checks - because they are always looking for a way to weasel a free meal out of everyone else.

Definitely a pizza. I used to try the calzones back in the day when they started to become popular in here but it never replaced the pizza for me.

I most definitely would choose pizza every time! I love pizza and my family eats it often. It sounds silly, but I like the shape. I think pizza is fun to eat. It is unique and unsual. It's not like a sandwich, you don't have a bun on top and bottom. It is just a fun triangle or square to eat with your hands. My kids love pizza and eating it with their hands. Plus it is a great sensory food! (With an autstic child, we try to incorporate sensory foods in our diets as much as we can-like eating with your hands and feeling the foods.)
Pizza goes great with other sides like chips and dip, salads and other items, but it is also great to eat on its own. While I do enjoy a warn calzone, I like the versatility of pizza. I like having my family come together around a circle of warm cheesey pizza. :) I love that we can add our own toppings and see the toppings as we eat them. You can make your pizzas colorful by adding varieties of cheeses, peppers, meats and veggies. I like all the different flavors and options you can have with pizza.

I've only ever tried calzones a few times but was disappointed (perhaps they weren't proper calzones and weren't prepared in the proper manner) as they had no flavor and although they weren't all that large they had too much pastry and made me feel bloated, whereas I never feel bloated after eating thin crust pizza. Strangely, I do like Mexican empanadas, which are a little like calzones. Perhaps as they have a little more spice. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom