Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 new baby bantam chicks and another 3 due to hatch today. No Birthday cake though or even a special birthday breakfast because It is simply too hot to cook anything right noweven at bam in the morning. So the birthday person is going to have to manage with a birthday swim instead! Maybe a meal out for lunch instead? That is assuming that we can find somewhere open. Unlike everywhere else on the planet, Canberra closes down during the holidays and becomes a ghost city!

Oh and no birthday swim. the smoke has both of us out of sorts. Hubby has yet to wake up despite actually being up and on his feet. And I' m dizzy after walking down the track in the smoke. Guess something in the air isn't too good!

I'm also handwriting this on my new tablet. An old tablet that was 5 years old and terminally slow. I'm still working out the ins and outs of handwriting recognition and I've no idea on how I actually start a new paragraph with it rather than the current line. But so far, it is pretty accurate.

Oh and no birthday swim. the smoke has both of us out of sorts. Hubby has yet to wake up despite actually being up and on his feet. And I' m dizzy after walking down the track in the smoke. Guess something in the air isn't too good!

I'm also handwriting this on my new tablet. An old tablet that was 5 years old and terminally slow. I'm still working out the ins and outs of handwriting recognition and I've no idea on how I actually start a new paragraph with it rather than the current line. But so far, it is pretty accurate.

Coming across loud and clear here!

Russ

Coming across loud and clear here!

Russ
8:30pm... 30°C inside, 30°C outside. Now the games begin. Our air quality is rated as just poor currently but can't smell smoke so windows open. Very poor and horrendous are the next 2 levels both visible to the east of us on the air quality app. Currently our breeze is southerly. It's predicted to be northerly come the morning. Tbe question is which way will it swing first?

8:30pm... 30°C inside, 30°C outside. Now the games begin. Our air quality is rated as just poor currently but can't smell smoke so windows open. Very poor and horrendous are the next 2 levels both visible to the east of us on the air quality app. Currently our breeze is southerly. It's predicted to be northerly come the morning. Tbe question is which way will it swing first?
Well, that lasted all of less than 5 minutes before my asthma early warning system kicked in and windows and doors were closed rather hurriedly. By the time the last window at the opposite end of the house to the fires was being closed, the house had been enveloped in smoke and we can't see the road again, 250m away! Luckily it's now dark so we don't know we can't see it.

And we've just rung one of my b-i-ls to wish him happy birthday.

This is an idea of the air quality. Remember, I don't live in Canberra but closer to Goulburn and closer to the coast (but not where the blue marker is thankfully. That was just to center the page).

we're eyeing up the cinema again for tomorrow. 42°C and bad air quality. There's only one other film on in the premium lounge though and that's Jamanji II and we're not sure we want to see it tbh.

Well, that lasted all of less than 5 minutes before my asthma early warning system kicked in and windows and doors were closed rather hurriedly. By the time the last window at the opposite end of the house to the fires was being closed, the house had been enveloped in smoke and we can't see the road again, 250m away! Luckily it's now dark so we don't know we can't see it.

And we've just rung one of my b-i-ls to wish him happy birthday.

Just seen on the news a lot of people have signed a petition to stop the Sydney New Year firework display, stop putting even more smoke in the air and use the money to fight the fires, great idea.

It's raining here, I'll probably get my shopping list for NYD put together, make sure I have everything.

We always eat later NYD because I have to work overnight NYE. I'll probably get to bed around 5AM NYD (if I'm lucky) and once I sleep a few hours, get up and cook.

The concert last night was pretty good - a jazz quartet backed by a symphony orchestra doing all the music from "A Charlie Brown Christmas." As predicted, we were both pissing and moaning right up until we sat down, then we enjoyed it. :)

We did a grocery shop this morning, am going to bring our guinea boys downstairs whilst I clean their cage, very little energy but cannot sit and grump another day.

Just seen on the news a lot of people have signed a petition to stop the Sydney New Year firework display, stop putting even more smoke in the air and use the money to fight the fires, great idea.
It would be a great idea if major firework displays bought their fireworks at the very last minute but I suspect that the fireworks themselves were purchased some time ago so the money would already have been spent. What they would need would be the investors to basically say don't worry about paying us this season.

The money needs to go to the Rural Fire Services to help them out. They are the ones who a fighting the fires in the mountains and national parks where most of the fires are burning. I suspect it is only because of the smoke that most people are even aware of the fires sadly. Were it not impacting directly on their lives, they wouldn't be as understanding.

Having only recently left living in one of those National Parks where the fire front is only 4km as the crow flies from our old home, I'm somewhat more aware of how lucky we are. (That plus several very near misses (as in 25 metres from the house near) where we used to live in the UK). We left because our landlord didn't want the cost of drilling a new bore hole because the old one was dry and the pump broken. He put the house on the market instead.

But not putting anymore pollutants into the air right now would be a stunningly good idea for everyone unless it seeds rain. Ironically here New Year's Eve is forecast for 50% chance of 1-5mm of rain, However it will be thunderstorms and with it the threat of new fires. The fire rating for that day is level 5 of 6.

The Sun/Mon (5th/6th) its also forecast for rain. But the odds are changing already. It was 90% 5-10mm both days, but is already down to 70% 1-5mm on the Sunday, so I'm guessing we won't get rain that day. The Monday has dropped from 90% to 80% of 5-10mm, so with luck we'll see 50% 1-5mm by the time the day arrives.

Hopefully the mountains that these fires are in will fair better that day and actually see heavy enough rain to dampen the fires down. That's all that is going to make a difference now.

Scale wise, the 2 fires nearest to us are roughly ⅔rds the size of Wales with maybe 4 dirt roads and 1 tarmac road providing access to the area. The fires around Sydney are on a totally different scale. The ones to the west are about the same size. The ones to the north are 5 or 6 times bigger.

That is really not good. Why are 'clients' on-line at that sort of time?
It's to support overnight automated processes. I work in finance, and 12/31 is the longest-running night of the year, as end-of-day, end-of-month, end-of-quarter, and end-of-year routines all run.

These processes create inputs for other internal and external processes that are also running, around the country and internationally, and we have govt mandated timelines in which we have to deliver these inputs, and the chances of missing many of these deadlines is, oh, about 100%, so I have to sit and watch this stuff run long, then contact each of my counterparts when that does happen, then contact them again when whatever they're expecting does finally get created, and the probability of actual failures in the process is high as well, and when that happens, we don't really have time to let the normal automated paging system do its thing - someone has to be ready to address any failures immediately.

It's like that across IT - I haven't had a NYE off since 2003. Before then, I was a contractor, and no client wanted to pay the predatory fee my contracting company would have charged for after-hours holiday monitoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom