Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grocery shopping (done), cooking (in progress), and mowing the grass before it gets too hot (projected for 93F with high humidity).

A bit peeved at the big grocery store I like to visit. I usually go Saturday or Sunday mornings, around 6:30AM, so I'm ready to check out by 7:30AM, and they'll have the self-service kiosks open and one staffed register at that time of the morning.

Last weekend, no register open, so I asked a worker stocking the candy, and she said registers don't open until 8AM, but to check with Customer Service to be sure.

Went to Customer Service...found a sign that said they were closed until 8AM. The woman inside saw me, though, and came out.

I asked about the registers, and she said, no, one should be open and to go back, so I did, and while I was going back, an employee raced by me and...yep, he opened a register. Hmmmm...

Today, same story, I was ready to check out at 7:30AM with a cart full of groceries, way too many for the self-serve kiosks, none were open and I asked a girl wiping the scanners down and she said the same thing, registers don't open until 8AM.

So I waited, checked out, then went back to Customer Service to ask about it, got the same woman as last week, who then confirmed that registers were no longer going to be open before 8AM.

Well, crap.

That makes me adjust my day a half-hour, which doesn't seem much, but by 8AM, the store is fairly busy, which is what I was trying to avoid, and I think I found the runaround as annoying as the policy change.

Grocery shopping (done), cooking (in progress), and mowing the grass before it gets too hot (projected for 93F with high humidity).

A bit peeved at the big grocery store I like to visit. I usually go Saturday or Sunday mornings, around 6:30AM, so I'm ready to check out by 7:30AM, and they'll have the self-service kiosks open and one staffed register at that time of the morning.

Last weekend, no register open, so I asked a worker stocking the candy, and she said registers don't open until 8AM, but to check with Customer Service to be sure.

Went to Customer Service...found a sign that said they were closed until 8AM. The woman inside saw me, though, and came out.

I asked about the registers, and she said, no, one should be open and to go back, so I did, and while I was going back, an employee raced by me and...yep, he opened a register. Hmmmm...

Today, same story, I was ready to check out at 7:30AM with a cart full of groceries, way too many for the self-serve kiosks, none were open and I asked a girl wiping the scanners down and she said the same thing, registers don't open until 8AM.

So I waited, checked out, then went back to Customer Service to ask about it, got the same woman as last week, who then confirmed that registers were no longer going to be open before 8AM.

Well, crap.

That makes me adjust my day a half-hour, which doesn't seem much, but by 8AM, the store is fairly busy, which is what I was trying to avoid, and I think I found the runaround as annoying as the policy change.

My local Tesco is 24 hr - not that I ever go shopping as early as you. In fact I rarely go to a supermarket as I get home deliveries.

My local Tesco is 24 hr - not that I ever go shopping as early as you. In fact I rarely go to a supermarket as I get home deliveries.
The Kroger I go to is 24-hour as well, but now they're cutting back the registers.

They've done that with other departments, like the deli is open 8AM-10PM, then after that, you better hope they have what you want in the self-serve deli case, but I think they ought to be able to staff one register for folks who come in to beat the rush. Three other people with full carts were milling around waiting for her to open, so there's a demand, I think.

If I were a jerk, I'd clog up the self-service kiosk with my $150 worth of groceries, and when the one attendant there got tired of clearing my checkout errors for removing bags too early, I'd sweetly remind her that this crap wouldn't happen if you'd open a g--damn register.

But I'm not a jerk. :D

Well the mulato chilis arrived mid afternoon, too late to start the mole. Looks like I'll have an open weekend coming up.

Driving into the office today. Going to do my usual lunchtime walk. I also need to stop and get some provisions for the next couple of days (even though I just did the weekly shopping yesterday).

Sometime this week, I have to try a Burger King Impossible Whopper. My vegan niece challenged me, so I'll do that, maybe today.

Weird thing is, I'm the most vegan-friendly non-vegan she knows, but she frequently "challenges" me to make/eat something vegan. I think she hopes I'm close to the tipping point. :)

I think I'm making the Philly cheesesteaks tonight.

Post a photo if you can.
I will. My niece lives in California, so I'll have fun with it and take selfies of me opening it, taking a bite, etc, and send those to her. The expression on my face will relay what my thoughts are.

I've had a variety of veggie burgers, including a few I've made, from recipes that guaranteed I'd love it "even if you hate veggie burgers!" - I've yet to find one I'd eat a second time.

My go-to source for recipes that never fail to please is America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country/Cook's Illustrated (all the same people), and when they came out with their recipe for a veggie burger, I was excited to make it and try it.

Nope. The best I can say is that it definitely was better than any other one I'd ever had, but it was still pretty bad.

I've had a variety of veggie burgers, including a few I've made, from recipes that guaranteed I'd love it "even if you hate veggie burgers!" - I've yet to find one I'd eat a second time.

I have a recipe you may possibly like which I keep meaning to post up. It certainly looks the business. My vegan son rated it the best he had ever had. It requires achiote paste and a tin of jackfruit (plus other things which are more easily obtainable).

Post your burger Burger King experience as a new thread (you could use the 'Review' prefix).

Supposed to rain off and on all day today.

I'm working from home and it's Thursday, so that means laundry. Cooking plans have twice been disrupted this week, so I'm hoping to get back on track with making lasagna tonight.

I've also got to run into town and get little training treats and mascarpone cheese for my dog. She takes a lot of meds, and the only thing she'll swallow the pills with is a training treat with a glob of mascarpone cheese with the pill inside.

Liverwurst? Nope. American cream cheese? Don't even think about it. Hot dog? That's an insult. Peanut butter? What am I, a 10yo kid? Mascarpone-And-Beef-Flavored hors d'oeuvre, pronto! :laugh:

Sometime this week, I have to try a Burger King Impossible Whopper. My vegan niece challenged me, so I'll do that, maybe today.
I did finally do this today. No pics, though. :(

To put it as succinctly as possible - it's the best plant-based burger I've ever had, by a mile, but it still falls short of its counterpart.

Texture is pretty close to a fast-food burger - it just tastes like a very bland version of one.

I did finally do this today. No pics, though. :(

To put it as succinctly as possible - it's the best plant-based burger I've ever had, by a mile, but it still falls short of its counterpart.

Texture is pretty close to a fast-food burger - it just tastes like a very bland version of one.

Burger King :hungry:

We have Burger King as well, I think ozzy call it hungry jacks?? I'm heading back to home to pick up stuff I need later when the kids get home from school. One of the cats spewed in the pantry this morning. Miss 10 cleaned it up. Theyre all outside now. Now i know why we don't have pets,lol.

Russ

There is a food festival on this week in our town so this afternoon after lunch we will be going to what it is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom