Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like that old US Army advert that said, "We do more before 9AM than you do all day."

Up at 5:30AM for work. The downside of working in the financial sector is that 31 Dec of any year is our Super Bowl, and I'm slated as part of the cleanup crew to be on and available first thing 1 Jan.

As soon as I got the necessaries of that cleared away, into the kitchen to debone, season, and sear a pork shoulder for pork and sauerkraut.

As soon as I got that going in the crockpot, out in the freezing rain with the dog for her morning supervised walk-around.

Back in, then into town to get an apple and some potatoes, both needed for today.

Back home, got the apple sliced up and into the crockpot, then turned to doing the washing up, and now I'm taking a break while MrsT empties the dishwasher - then it's right back in it to make breakfast.

Whew! 😓

Why did you debone the pork shoulder? If you let it cook in the shoulder, when the pork is done, the bone will pull out with almost no effort, and will be absolutely clean. That's how I know my pork shoulder is done -- and it is a lot easier than cutting it out of the raw shoulder.

CD

Why did you debone the pork shoulder? If you let it cook in the shoulder, when the pork is done, the bone will pull out with almost no effort, and will be absolutely clean. That's how I know my pork shoulder is done -- and it is a lot easier than cutting it out of the raw shoulder.

CD
I don't really have a reason beyond all the recipes I've ever used for pork and sauerkraut call for removing the bone before cooking. That's how I've always done it, that's how my mom did it, and her mom, and even my MIL. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't really have a reason beyond all the recipes I've ever used for pork and sauerkraut call for removing the bone before cooking. That's how I've always done it, that's how my mom did it, and her mom, and even my MIL. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well, I can't argue with that logic. :wink:

But seriously, try leaving the blade bone in. It will save you time and effort, and give you a built in doneness indicator.

CD

Yeah - I only said that because TastyReuben said he was cooking it in a crockpot. It must be good slow smoked on the Weber.

Yes, with one caveat. The smoke only penetrates about a half-inch (15mm) into the meat. So, I prefer to smoke small shoulders over large ones, so when you pull/shred and mix the meat, you have a smokier flavor.

CD

I like to bone my lamb shoulders because then I can stuff it and roll it into a uniform shape for cutting perfect rounds. We have thick butcher string here for rolling. I havnt cooked a large pork roast in 30 years.

Russ

Today's plans are probably going to change. Hubby went out to collect medication and do the shopping run.

He's just rung me to ask if I know where his wallet is.

Without his wallet, he can't prove his identity at the new checkpoints that have gone up on the act/nsw...

Update:
Just taken his phone call. My text message suggestion of activating our bank cardless pay option on his new phone worked. Until now we're preferred not to use it because he had an older phone and various things didn't work. But he needed it and the pharmacy don't mind him trying to pay with a new app because they know us and they are quiet at 9:30am....

And I've also just found out that he has a digital version of his Australian driving license, not a picture, but a legal version through the NSW Service app (equivalent to the DVLA app in the UK,/myGov....) so he can produce that at the border checkpoint. I didn't know this because I'm still driving on my UK license because if the medication i take. Dr thinks it is better i wait until I'm off some of it because that way I won't have to take a disability test... But I have to counter this with our citizenship request. I need to have a full Australian NSW driving licence before I get dual nationality... (each state or territory here has their own driving licence, test and road laws... keeping up is difficult. An example is that my 4x4 can't be taken into Queensland because the extra lights mounted on my roo bars are on top of the roo bars, above the bonnet. To be legal in Queensland, they have to need mounted in between the bars and over the radiator grill. But I can't put them there because my extra spotlights are there, but the lights on my roof are fine... in NSW, they are fine on top of the roo bars, visible over the bonnet.

Rain changed plans here, I'm out of three of my popular frozen things. I need chicken croquettes, vege samosas and beef samosas. I knew we had veges so I did vegetarian/ vegan samosas. With mustard seeds turmeric etc and potatoes and peas. Peas from our garden. I did a double batch and got 35 fat plump gems. They are freezing free flow ATM. I will put in containers later.
Cooking chicken guess what. I won't know what's in it until they are cooked, some sort of cheese filling?? Chips and eggs. I'm sitting resting after making food.
Tomorrow we are going out to the country to our fave pub at cust. I'll pick up mince beef for samosas on Monday.
SatNavSaysStraightOn your ute problems reminded me I am behind in my car rego. Thing came in mail today, expired in November, wth?

Russ

@SatNavSaysStraightOn your ute problems reminded me I am behind in my car rego. Thing came in mail today, expired in November, wth?
It doesn't feel like that long ago that I was pulled over whilst setting out on a weekend away.

Did I know that my rego had expired?
Err, no. It's got another 2 weeks left to run...
No, it expired 11½ months ago!

Hubby had forgotten to renew it. The police officer was stunned that I had been driving the vehicle for nearly a year without ever having been pulled over. $1,500 in fines but because it was me driving it, not my husband and because I'm still driving on my UK license, something only permitted because I live in NSW, the rest of Australia including ACT require that you change to an Australian state licence within x many weeks/months of arriving, except NSW where it is until it expired, so because I was driving not him, no points on my licence. They can't be bothered with all of the paperwork for putting points on a UK license. Hubby had been driving just 3 minutes before. We'd stopped at the side of the road because he was too tired and I didn't think his driving was safe (aka he was scaring me with his driving so I'd demanded he stopped there and then to change drivers). I was hardly even comfortable with my mirrors all in place etc when I got pulled over!

As for the lights, it's only on Queensland that they make the vehicle illegal (even if not in use). In NSW, ACT, Victoria and Tasmania they are legal. I don't know about other states, I've not looked it up yet. But given the current situation and the random closures of borders at very little notice, I think it won't be too much longer before Aussies stop leaving their own state for a while. Getting stranded on the wrong side of a state border closure us causing major headaches for people. Some families are literally having to split because 1 kid was in the area and the rest were not....

Back to plans for today.... Hubby finally made it home. He managed to get everything needed, including my gardening stuff and chook food. The bank app worked at all locations and he used a less major route into ACT that currently at least is not being used as a checkpoint. So plans now are for sleep... I worked all morning in the veg plot getting it sorted out to reduce the snake risk (so getting all the black weed matting totally flat and pinned/staked down. I'll cut into it tomorrow, weather permitting and get the radish and beetroot planted on from the pots they went into as a temporary measure. I've also got silverbeet and kale in pots and some strawberries. I could also do with getting some coriander and basil sown, plus a few other seeds like carrots and some more beetroot (so they are in rotation) and I'd like a round of peas before the season is out. Then I need to give some thought thought to my winter veg and way I need to order (garlic, potatoes and ??? I would like kale, leeks, spinach, sprouts and maybe some cauliflower and broccoli. All are winter veg here)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom