Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MrsT posted her big German Christmas cookie thingy on Facebook, now several people want one, so I'm off to buy a few for some of those closest to us, as well as to get some pfeffernusse, which was all sold out last week.

I have two absence days left, so I begged off work today (after working two hours) and now I'm out doing my Christmas grocery shopping.

I thought I had the menu all set, then realized I was thinking of Thanksgiving, so I had to throw my butt in gear and get it figured out, do a list, and hit the international market.

The money for our car crash has arrived at the bank. So yesterday we decided (Mrs B decided) because of the narrow roads etc we need a small car. She likes the Mini Cooper. So the hunt starts for a low mileage second hand Cooper.
1608273303726.png

Going to lunch with a couple friends of mine. They don't get out much, either, so we should be relatively safe. We are pretty picky about where we eat, too. If we can't social distance, we turn and go someplace else.

Nothing else after lunch. I want to do my turmeric challenge cook this weekend. Probably Saturday or Sunday, as I think it is going to take some time and tinkering.

CD

Starbucks in 30 minutes, feed the dog, reload the cats auto feeder and change her auto watering gizmo, standby to start the generator due to the predicted high winds that may trigger a power shutdown for our area.
Maybe prune the roses. Time to cut them way back.

Normally on a Sunday morning I bring our guinea boys downstairs for the day, clean their cage, clean the cat's litter tray and the hallway. Did that yesterday so it felt like a Sunday :unsure:

Today is a cleaning day.

My plans for today are to do as little as possible, eat some fatty red meat, and sides with lots of butter. After surgery on Monday, those things will be off the menu, at least for a while.

I am in the middle of a rat destruction operation -- they are taking over the neighborhood. Downside of living a couple blocks from a 3,000 acre cattle and horse ranch. An idiot neighbor had the feral cats rounded up by Animal Control (to be euthanized), so the rats took over. I got one today, and expect at least one more to be "departed" by morning. No poison! I just want the rats, nothing else.

CD

Well, I got my replacement Christmas pudding teapot from Amazon...arrived broken (well, of course it did!). :(

I must say, though, Amazon knows how to handle returns. Five clicks on my phone and a new one is already being shipped out, and all I have to do is take this one to a UPS store and show them my emailed return authorization - I don't have to pack it or print a label or anything, just dump it off at the UPS store and it's their problem.

So I'm doing that today, and washing a load of laundry at the laundromat, and finding an appliance repair person. Not much else beyond that.

Well, I got my replacement Christmas pudding teapot from Amazon...arrived broken (well, of course it did!). :(

I must say, though, Amazon knows how to handle returns. Five clicks on my phone and a new one is already being shipped out, and all I have to do is take this one to a UPS store and show them my emailed return authorization - I don't have to pack it or print a label or anything, just dump it off at the UPS store and it's their problem.

So I'm doing that today, and washing a load of laundry at the laundromat, and finding an appliance repair person. Not much else beyond that.
Appliance repair is a lost trade out here.
Rare indeed.

My plans for today are to do as little as possible, eat some fatty red meat, and sides with lots of butter. After surgery on Monday, those things will be off the menu, at least for a while.

I am in the middle of a rat destruction operation -- they are taking over the neighborhood. Downside of living a couple blocks from a 3,000 acre cattle and horse ranch. An idiot neighbor had the feral cats rounded up by Animal Control (to be euthanized), so the rats took over. I got one today, and expect at least one more to be "departed" by morning. No poison! I just want the rats, nothing else.

CD
The cats are essential around here.
Poison no longer effective. The former stuff was secondary killing the wildlife in the hills above.
This is all the rage now:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Victor-Rat-Trap/3083207

Appliance repair is a lost trade out here.
Rare indeed.
Yep, I'm finding that's true here as well. Weird, you'd think as long as there are appliances to repair, there'd be a market for a local independent repair shop.

After calling all around the county and finding one place after another permanently closed, I went out to GE's website and scheduled a service through them. It'll likely be a local-ish guy, probably from Dayton, 45 minutes away, and it's probably the most expensive option, but I hate going to the laundromat. Looks like I'm doing that anyway, because the next available appointment is 7-Jan-21. $100 just for coming out, regardless of what they eventually repair.

I could have also called Lowes, but the last time I called their customer service, they were so unhelpful, I hesitate to call them again.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm finding that's true here as well. Weird, you'd think as long as there are appliances to repair, there'd be a market for a local independent retailer.

After calling all around the county and finding one place after another permanently closed, I went out to GE's website and scheduled a service through them. It'll likely be a local-ish guy, probably from Dayton, 45 minutes away, and it's probably the most expensive option, but I hate going to the laundromat. Looks like I'm doing that anyway, because the next available appointment is 7-Jan-21. $100 just for coming out, regardless of what they eventually repair.

I could have also called Lowes, but the last time I called their customer service, they were so unhelpful, I hesitate to call them again.

Here its relatively easy to get repairs. I hadn't realised that it would be an issue over the pond. All my stuff (such as washing machine and dishwasher) is insured (a few pounds a month) and they send someone quickly. Also, the appliances are replaced for free if they can't be repaired.

At the price you are paying it may be worth simply getting a new machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom