Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to sit back and watch your bro, that's so funny.

Russ
Oh, you'd love him, he's hard to dislike.

Another story - he used to host an end-of-summer cookout every year, followed by fireworks and a bonfire. When he got married this last time (third wife, can't learn his lesson :) ), she made him stop, because every year, he'd get liquored up and fall into the bonfire ("Stop drop and roll, Lee! Stop drop and roll!), catch one of his outbuildings on fire, or set the woods on fire.

We used to say, "It's not a Lee party until Emergency Services shows up!" :laugh:

Oh, you'd love him, he's hard to dislike.

Another story - he used to host an end-of-summer cookout every year, followed by fireworks and a bonfire. When he got married this last time (third wife, can't learn his lesson :) ), she made him stop, because every year, he'd get liquored up and fall into the bonfire ("Stop drop and roll, Lee! Stop drop and roll!), catch one of his outbuildings on fire, or set the woods on fire.

We used to say, "It's not a Lee party until Emergency Services shows up!" :laugh:

Lol, that's so funny. Our last house ( 30 years ago) we used to have sky rocket fights with our neighbour, rockets firing at each other. It was funny, but dangerous,lol.

Russ

Btw, our son is called lee as well. He's 40 next month.

Russ
Our Lee is 63, and still hard to keep up with.

Here's a classic Lee story, I'll call it The Last Fireworks Show.

Now, I'm not sure what kind of fireworks you can buy in NZ, or the UK, or other parts of the world, but around here, you can can good fireworks, ones that'll nearly rival some of the professional shows, for cheap. Every year for his fireworks show, Lee would pass the hat, collect a few hundred bucks, and go buy all the doo-dads.

In addition to the usual rockets and screamers and bursts, he always bought a few "finale specials" - these were multi-charged fireworks...one canister about the size of an office rubbish bin -just light the fuse and stand back, and for the next several minutes, it would spew a multitude of blasts. We always saved those for the end.

Well, this particular night, I was running the show, lighting all the rockets and all that, with Lee's "help" - meaning he'd drunkenly stagger down the little path out to the top of the field where I had everything set up, tell me I was doing a great job, light off something, then wander back down the path to the spectators area.

We got to the end, I loudly announced the finale was starting, and lit the first of four finale specials.

Sssssssssss...nothing. It petered out. I looked with my flashlight, and the fuse had burned up into the canister, so I just let it be and moved on to the next one.

About that time...here comes Lee.

"Hey, man, what, I say, what happened with that first one, man?"

"Never went off, and the fuse is gone, probably a dud."

"Well, that @#%ing sucks, man!"

"Don't worry about it, we have three others. Just leave that one alone and you can take it back and get some money back for it being a dud."

"Yeah, but I wanted it tonight, man! That just sucks!"

At that point, he started tapping it with his boot, and then he tried to light several matches to cram up the fuse hole.

"Hey, just leave it alone! You're gonna screw around and catch yourself on fire! Again!"

"Aw, shut up-"

By now, he'd put his head directly over the giant canister, just inches from the opening.

"-I'm just checking to-"

💥 BOOM! 💥

Yep, it went off, and him with his fat noggin directly over it.

He whirled backward, and I'll never forget for the rest of my life what he said next:

"AHHHHHHHH! I'M BLIND! I CAN'T SEE! DID I SAY I CAN'T SEE? 'CAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING 'CAUSE I CAN'T HEAR, EITHER! AHHHHHH!"

I ran over to him, and I kid you not, he looked just like Elmer Fudd used to look in those old cartoons where he looked down the shotgun and got his head blown off. :laugh:

Shining my light on him, his face was completely black from the powder going off. What little hair he had was blown back. His whole entire head was smoking!

He kept screaming he couldn't see, he couldn't hear, oh God, he was dying, he loved everybody and was going to miss them and please somebody take care of his dogs and all that, and about that time, his wife showed up.

Now, his wife was an O/R nurse. She'd seen it all in her time. She showed up and immediately took command. She grabbed my brother by the shoulders and shouted, "Lee! Lee! Do you require medical attention, Lee?! Do you require medical attention?! Lee! Lee!"

For some reason, the way she asked that question, it sounded so ridiculously...official, I just burst out laughing. I couldn't help it. I looked over at her, and she was snapping her fingers in his ears and holding her lighter up to his eyes, back and forth, and she just kept repeating, "Do you require medical attention, Lee?! Lee! Lee!" - all the while, on top of that, he's moaning about somebody taking care of his dogs, and he willed me his 1970 Triumph motorcycle, and he started naming other things he was bequeathing to whomever was nearby, it was surrealist dark comedy at its best.

Of course, the end of the story is that he was fine, his eyesight came right back, took a couple of hours for his ears to clear up, and he immediately took back all the stuff he'd given us, and his wife announced then and there, NO MORE FIREWORKS OR BONFIRES FOR LEE!

:laugh:

...and here's the cornbread for the guests today.
64D8E8E5-42B6-4DAC-9F79-E03A19D441F7.jpeg

Plans for today...
  • hang washing out after breakfast
  • Go swimming
  • RFS get ready day, visit on way home (rural fire service)
  • Lunch
  • Gardening
  • No CookingBites maintenance work unless emergency
  • Sleep
  • Evening meal, may have to make it.
  • TV
  • Bed.

Rfs
My friend in Ulladulla is a member of his local unit as well

Russ

Rfs
My friend in Ulladulla is a member of his local unit as well

Russ
Despite my severe asthma, when I worked for the British Army as a civilian we all had to have fire training every 6 months. So that meant oil fires, petrol fires, standard pallet fires, bins etc and so on... So ironically despite being a severe asthmatic now using a wheelchair I know rather more about fires and putting them out than perhaps I should. Now, it is however a get out before it gets serious approach. We have a friend who had said just turn up if needed... So far we've used that twice in the 3 ⅓ years we've been here.

Boyo, I had a good time today. Being food-oriented, you'll all understand.

I found a new grocery store.

Got a flyer in the mail a couple of weeks ago, announcing the renovation of a grocery store about 35 minutes away, and it was one I'd never heard of. What?!

Today, I decided to check them out, and I loved it!

First, it's a nice little drive, mostly rural with just a bit of suburbs around the store.

Second, they carry a lot of stuff I can find only at specialty stores, or not at all. They also seemed to focus on a lot of Amish goods, especially in the meats, cheeses, pickles, and jams.

Last, the prices were great! The Amish apple butter I bought, I can get that at the farmer's market, but it's $6.99. Here...$2.99!

Produce and meat departments were a little on the small side, but plenty big enough for me, and everything looked good and clean and fresh.

They had a good international section, too. I got some German noodles and some German mustard.

And they even had pasteurized heavy cream, not just ultra-pasteurized. That's hard to find here, and that'll work for making creme fraiche, where the latter won't.

Good wine and beer sections as well.

And Wisconsin brick cheese, only one other place carries that, and trail bologna, and Twinings k-cup tea...$7.99 at Kroger, but only $4.99 here.

To top it all off, I got a BABOP (Big-A** Bag O' Popcorn), it's as big as my torso!

Oh, and in-store popped popcorn for 50¢ and free coffee.

Now I have three stores to work into my routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom