Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good choice.

Don't know what a leach field is.
We were on one at our last place (the ones we lived on in the UK were similar as well). All modern septic tanks in Australia have to have them. Where we are now had a slightly older system but still drains into a lower level field.

It's good because it means there is very little maintenance needed. The one we lived on in Surrey was a cross between a septic tank and cesspit, so although it could drain into a ditch at the top of woodland, it also needed frequent emptying and did on 2 occasions overflow (in 12 years).

Today is my last day of vacation (boo!), not counting the weekend, of course, so we threw the dog into doggie daycare and headed out for some shopping.

There's a little family butcher shop about two hours from us, but it just so happens that for a short stretch of the road, there are four other places we like to visit, so that was the plan.

First stop was a diner about 30 minutes away. We'd heard good things about it, but found the place rather below average.
We both ordered two over-medium eggs, potatoes, and toast.

First up, the server brought over a little dish full of convenience packets of jams, jellies, and margarine (I hate margarine), and grumbled, "New county health board rule - We ain't allowed to butter your toast no more!" Ok...

When the food came out, the potatoes were obviously straight from a bag of frozen cubed potatoes, and they had no seasoning whatsoever on them, and they were dry as dust. The eggs had been cooked in about half a can of butter-flavored cooking spray and absolutely reeked of that fake-butter-and-propellant smell cooking spray has.

At least my wife managed to knock over her travel mug of tea when we were paying for the meal. That was the best part of the whole experience. :whistling:

Then on up to Wilson's Butcher Shop:
Mom Wilson's | Country Sausage Mart

We bought cracker sausage, ring bologna, regular bologna, all made in-store, as well as potato chips and a small fruit pie. Two hours to get there, then 10 minutes in the shop, because we always get the same things. We also got a little bag of chopped "variety meats" to use as dog treats.

Then we started making our way back, and the next stop was:
Butcher Shop | Plain City | Bluescreek Farm Meats

We like to stop there for steaks and chops, though we didn't need any of that today. They also have an excellent little cafe, but it was also too early for lunch, so we just picked up a slice of cheesecake for later, and some spun honey for the wife.

Toddling on down the road a little farther, we made a stop here:
Der Dutchman - Plain City, OH | Dutchman Hospitality

Der Dutchman is a massive Amish bakery, restaurant, and gift shop. Their food is so-so, but their baked goods are fantastic. We picked up some cheese spread, plum butter, and two big fat doughnuts.

Next stop:
http://yutzysfarmmarket.com/
I got chopped ham, ham off the bone, dried beef, some sandwich spread, sandwich dressing, and I'm going to get our Thanksgiving turkey from them, special ordered from a local farm.

Last stop:
Deli Meat and Cheese Market | Homemade Gourmet Foods
There, we got some butter cheese, Colby cheese, Muenster cheese, some crackers, and some ice cream.

I don't normally eat ice cream, but they have a peanut butter ice cream that I love. Most peanut butter ice cream is just vanilla ice cream with chunks of chocolate and peanut butter mixed in, maybe some nuts as well. I don't like that, I like a smooth peanut butter-flavored ice cream, with chunks of peanut butter mixed in, nothing else, and that's exactly what this is.

Here are a couple of pics of our purchases:

Today is my last day of vacation (boo!), not counting the weekend, of course, so we threw the dog into doggie daycare and headed out for some shopping.

There's a little family butcher shop about two hours from us, but it just so happens that for a short stretch of the road, there are four other places we like to visit, so that was the plan.

First stop was a diner about 30 minutes away. We'd heard good things about it, but found the place rather below average.

First up, the server brought over a little dish full of convenience packets of jams, jellies, and margarine (I hate margarine), and grumbled, "New county health board rule - We ain't allowed to butter your toast no more!" Ok...

When the food came out, the potatoes were obviously straight from a bag of frozen cubed potatoes, and they had no seasoning whatsoever on them, and they were dry as dust. The eggs had been cooked in about half a can of butter-flavored cooking spray and absolutely reeked of that fake-butter-and-propellant smell cooking spray has.

At least my wife managed to knock over her travel mug of tea when we were paying for the meal. That was the best part of the whole experience. :whistling:

We bought cracker sausage, ring bologna, regular bologna, all made in-store, as well as potato chips and a small fruit pie. Two hours to get there, then 10 minutes in the shop, because we always get the same things. We also got a little bag of chopped "variety meats" to use as dog treats.

We like to stop there for steaks and chops, though we didn't need any of that today. They also have an excellent little cafe, but it was also too early for lunch, so we just picked up a slice of cheesecake for later, and some spun honey for the wife.

Der Dutchman is a massive Amish bakery, restaurant, and gift shop. Their food is so-so, but their baked goods are fantastic. We picked up some cheese spread, plum butter, and two big fat doughnuts.

Next stop:
I got chopped ham, ham off the bone, dried beef, some sandwich spread, sandwich dressing, and I'm going to get our Thanksgiving turkey from them, special ordered from a local farm.

Last stop:
There, we got some butter cheese, Colby cheese, Muenster cheese, some crackers, and some ice cream.

I don't normally eat ice cream, but they have a peanut butter ice cream that I love. Most peanut butter ice cream is just vanilla ice cream with chunks of chocolate and peanut butter mixed in, maybe some nuts as well. I don't like that, I like a smooth peanut butter-flavored ice cream, with chunks of peanut butter mixed in, nothing else, and that's exactly what this is.

Nice selection, very nice, great smorgasbord coming up??

Russ

Saturday here and a nice day so catching up on my seedlings etc, then food shopping for the week. Chickens for roast chicken tomorrow night with family. Two large chooks needed. miss10 asked for this.

Russ

Nice selection, very nice, great smorgasbord coming up??

Russ
Thanks. One doughnut is gone, the chips/crisps are gone, and I'm about to make a serious dent in the bologna, as MrsTasty has asked for fried bologna sandwiches for supper, along with one of the tomatoes.

Next stop:

Last stop:

What a splendid food trip!

Just discovered my coffee grinder had a fail, and will no longer grind. Maybe it was all those intermittent 3 second power failures Thursday (during our serious rain and windstorm). I didn't need to make coffee yesterday; still had some left over that I merely had nuked.

Well, in about 3 hours I'll be at the local coffee hour at the community center, but... that's three hours! Let's see... some good eye-opening tea, like perhaps Earl Grey instead?

Today is cleanup day (outside and in) - trash depot is open from 9 to 1, so I'll be getting a good load of stuff over there.

The new cockerel/rooster is sitting in a cage in the hen house where he will remain all day, so the ladies can get used to him. I will release him tonight when everyone gets sleepy. He's a Welsummer, and I've named him Kellog. Hopefully he has a better disposition than his predecessor, a silver-laced Wyandotte.

Today, I was supposed to throw together an afternoon tea of sorts, but with all the dried meats and lunch meats and cheeses we bought yesterday, I think it's turned into afternoon cheese and crackers and such.

I'll likely still throw together some egg mayonnaise for sandwiches, but it'll get complemented with the sandwich spread I bought yesterday. She bought a miniature black raspberry pie and a pumpkin fry pie for herself, so that's the sweet bit taken care of. I'll try to sell her on cheese and crackers as a stand-in for scones. 😏

I do also need to head out to a shop about 30 minutes from here to replenish the dog's supply of glucosamine supplements. That'll likely be a solo trip, as the wife got a request to meet with some clients on Sunday regarding a group trip to Alaska.

The new cockerel/rooster is sitting in a cage in the hen house where he will remain all day, so the ladies can get used to him. I will release him tonight when everyone gets sleepy. He's a Welsummer, and I've named him Kellog. Hopefully he has a better disposition than his predecessor, a silver-laced Wyandotte.
Ironically we ended up getting rid of our Welsummer cockerel (called Wells) and now have a gold laced Wyandotte (named Elvis). Her had a much better temperament than our Welsummer ever did! We can actually handle him for starters. He'll come to our feet and we can pick him up. The Welsummer was a 2 person job once he had gone to roost and you had to sneek up on him even then!

We have a reasonable range of egg colours but only 2 girls are not pure breed heritage breeds. Those 2 give us the green eggs. We've lost our true blue egg layers sadly. Then there is a range of browns (none dark brown) and 2 who lay pure white. Here, we mostly choose the girls as to what can tolerate anything from -10°C through to 42°C. But it's the wind that is the killer here. Lightweight girls just get blown away, soaked through and chilled to the bone or just don't seem to be very happy, so we've moved away from the smaller breeds (our 2 bantams get special care) and towards larger breeds such as the lavender Sussexes we have (hens come in at 3kg with a massive amount of feathers) but we have yet to see how they fair in a hot summer.

Plans today...I'm in the office for the first time in a month, and it took all of 20 minutes for me to want to get up and leave.
I work in a cube alley, and when I got here this morning, the lights over our area were off, and with all the other lights on, it gave a nice calmness to our area.

20 minutes later, a supervisor came rolling through, loudly asked, "What's wrong with the lights here? Duh...they're off!" - and switched them all on.

That makes our area feel like a damn East Bloc interrogation room, so one of the other developers said something, and the supervisor said, "Sorry, but it's probably a safety issue or something!" 😒

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom