Please help identify what vegetable this is!

aquaticneko

Veteran
Local time
11:32 PM
Does anyone know what vegetable this might be? I was given it as a gift and I never had a chance to ask what it was. I want to find out ways in which I can cook it. Please and thank you.

I kind of thought it was a celeriac root vegetable, but it doesnt quite look like it.

Attachments

• PHOTO_20160414_043251.jpg
    PHOTO_20160414_043251.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 243
It resembled a Jicama but yet it is different. I tried googling it but I couldn't find anything that looked exactly like it.

It looks like a turnip root.

It looks a little bit like a turbana which is some kind of Mexican root vegetable or fruit like a plantain.It was not the banana type, but was round like that. My local grocery store had these, but I didn't know what they were or how they were used. I think it is something I would need to google, as I am not really familiar with them. One of the grocery stores in town is kind of a close out kind of store for food, and they come up with some weird things sometimes, foods I have never seen elsewhere.

Last edited:
it does look like a Kohlrabi but also could be a turnip root! check out a couple of videos on line about these two root veggies and see if you can determine then.

it does look like a Kohlrabi but also could be a turnip root! check out a couple of videos on line about these two root veggies and see if you can determine then.
This is definitely Kholrabi. A turnip root is smooth and doesn't have the little layered 'ridges' nor the curled green protuberance (seen at right of picture)! It does taste a little like turnip though!

This is definitely Kholrabi. A turnip root is smooth and doesn't have the little layered 'ridges' nor the curled green protuberance (seen at right of picture)! It does taste a little like turnip though!

It sounds like you definitely know what you're talking about. I'm guessing here.

Thank you! I've been trying to find out what this is for hours.Now that I know the name I can so look up some recipes.

It resembled a Jicama but yet it is different. I tried googling it but I couldn't find anything that looked exactly like it.
This is what I thought it was. But it didn't quite look like it either. Had me confused.

That's a Kholrabi! Its a bit like a water chestnut crossed with a turnip in taste. Some fab recipes here :http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...pes-yotam-ottolenghi-salad-curry-kimchi-fried
But you can use it raw thinly sliced in salad or cook for ten to fifteen minutes as a got vegetable.

I'll take a look at this recipe as soon as I'm finished up here. The person who gave this to me said I should just use it like a potato. What are some other ways you have eaten this? I have ALOT of them.

Back
Top Bottom