Poaching

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
8:54 PM
This cooking technique is not about illegally killing endangered animals.

It's basically heating in a liquid, but the main difference between poaching and boiling is the temperature of the liquid. It's not so low that the food is marinading or steeping, but usually not high enough for there to be bubbles. For example, here is a poached egg:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIvpbSEboYI

Poached eggs are the heart of an Eggs Benedict breakfast!

Another popular food for poaching is: sugar and spices dissolved in red wine, then peeled pears sunk into the wine mix for poaching. Too much heat can sear away the alcoholic flavor, but heated enough for a mist to form should be okay, because the reduced wine mix becomes a syrup for the wine-soaked pears later, maybe accompanied by a dollop of fresh cream.

What's your favorite thing to poach?

Fish can also be poached. I like poached salmon the best. It is more delicate and lighter in texture than baked or grilled salmon. A good poached salmon fillet will break gently apart as you insert a fork into it.

My favorite is salmon. But as a child a poached egg on toast was always one of my favorite breakfasts!

As a child, I ate poached eggs over French toast. It was the best breakfast ever. Now, as an adult, I can't stand anything poached. Just the thought even makes me sick.

Poached salmon is delightful, especially if it has rosemary or dill on it. I love salmon almost anyway that you can cook it. I have never had a poached egg though and I have no idea why I haven't.

Eggs are actually the only thing I ever poach!

I absolutely love eggs benedict. I don't make it very often because it's not exactly the healthiest dish, but it's a nice treat. I use little "poach pods" for my egg poaching so they always turn out perfect.

Back
Top Bottom