½ dl ev olive oil
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 ½ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
¼ teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon fenugreek
1 teaspoon crushed, pickled lemongrass (or tender parts of 2 fresh stalks, chopped)
¼ teaspoon ginger powder
2 teaspoons sweet chilli sauce
4 crushed cloves of garlic
10–12 juniper berries, coarsely crushed
fresh rosemary
coarse salt (finger salt)

Place the chicken legs in a plastic bag. Mix the marinade and pour it over the chicken legs. Let the chicken marinate overnight in the fridge and wipe off excess marinade. Add some extra rosemary and coarse salt and cook on a baking tray in the oven (175ºC) for 1–1,5 hours until the meat is super tender (inside temperature 77˚C). Flip the pieces once during cooking and baste them with dripping. Cover with foil for the latter part. Serve with lightly sauteed courgette.

Last edited:
I love this recipe! I've heard of the Italian Polllo al ginepro (chicken with juniper), but this version seems Indian/Asian in influence. I note the rosemary which is a perfect herb to complement juniper.

^ Yes, tamed down curry flavors. Not a surprising choice as citrus and curry flavors are used with poultry worldwide. Rosemary shares the bitterness of juniper berries but without harshness. As for curry spices, I don't love cardamon or cinnamon in briny dishes and (for me) nutmeg tastes best in bakery products, in Béchamel sauce, with cauliflower and in eggnog.

Back
Top Bottom