Pomegranate discussions

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
6:25 AM
[Mod.edit: several posts moved to form new topic (MG)]

Red pomegranate. I don't know whether it was imported or not but it was around US$3.00/kg.

I remember when my dear old mum used to cut them in half for my sister and me and she gave us a pin each. Kept us quiet for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Red pomegranate. I don't know whether it was imported or not but it was around US$3.00/kg.

I remember when my dear old mum used to cut them in half for my sister and me and she gave us a pin each. Kept us quiet for a long time.
My Grannie did the same with me. I'm not sure where she got that idea from though.

S'funny because I didn't even know pomegranates existed until I was an adult. We never had them at all as kids. Maybe its a North/South divide thing? Though quite why it should be I don't know, since pomegranates are imported from the mediterranean/middle East. You are roughly the same age as me Yorky so it can't be to do with the times.

A tiny bit of research:
Until very recently, the pomegranate hardly sold at all in Britain and western Europe
Guardian article from 2011

S'funny because I didn't even know pomegranates existed until I was an adult. We never had them at all as kids. Maybe its a North/South divide thing? Though quite why it should be I don't know, since pomegranates are imported from the mediterranean/middle East. You are roughly the same age as me Yorky so it can't be to do with the times.

A tiny bit of research:

We definitely had them as kids. As an adult I would be unlikely to sit and eat each individual seed with a pin. My sister left home and got married around '62 so it would be around then or before.

A tiny bit of research:

That's funny, it was always in our Christmas stockings when we were kids, which was a welcome change up from apples and oranges.

S'funny because I didn't even know pomegranates existed until I was an adult. We never had them at all as kids. Maybe its a North/South divide thing?
Not sure. I have been eating them since the late 70's/early 80's and grew up on the northern side of the M4! My Grannie was very definitely rural Wales, from the valleys as she used to put it.

They were always very seasonal, but as a child there was little in the way of fruit I could eat (still is but not as badly as when I was a child), so families were content to buy them for me.

I've noticed that so far this year every pomegranate I've eaten has been slightly more sour than previous years. Perhaps they are picking them before they are fully ripe to increase shelf life. I'm keeping one for a couple of weeks to see if it sweetens up a bit.

I've noticed that so far this year every pomegranate I've eaten has been slightly more sour than previous years. Perhaps they are picking them before they are fully ripe to increase shelf life. I'm keeping one for a couple of weeks to see if it sweetens up a bit.
Over here they are beautifully sweet. We've had 3 in this last week alone. I've another in the fridge that I'll eat later this week...

Funnily enough (given that I'm not picky and like most foods), I don't understand fresh pomegranate. The taste is fine and I love pomegranate molasses and fresh pomegranate juice but I don't see the pleasure in those slightly 'gritty' seeds.

After many years my wife still cannot pronounce pomegranate correctly; although she's getting closer. Thais call them "tab tim" (which she can pronounce)

Funnily enough (given that I'm not picky and like most foods), I don't understand fresh pomegranate. The taste is fine and I love pomegranate molasses and fresh pomegranate juice but I don't see the pleasure in those slightly 'gritty' seeds.

Craig can't stand them. Because of the seeds, it's a fight for me to even use the juice or molasses.

Back
Top Bottom