pork chops and the art of the brine

CookieMonster

Local time
11:07 PM
some years back I "learned" about salt brining pork chops.
. . . . must be more than one brining thread here . . . didn't turn one up.

I'd also opine that Europe suffers less from the cooked-to-a-crisp pork chop than USA - pork chops for dinner here is almost a standing joke.
dry, over done, tough, stringy . . . .

brining is simple - scale required - and produces wonderfully moist & flavorful chops.

as follows:
use a bowl size wise suited to task (i.e. number&size of pork chops...)
put the pork chops in the bowl
tare the bowl&chops
add water to cover chops
note the water weight added
use second bowl to weigh 7.5% salt solution .... i.e. water weight x 0.075
remove chops
add salt to bowl, swirl/stir to dissolve, put chops back in bowl
refrigerate for minimum two hours, up to six.

pan fry/broil/bake as desired. just don't over cook.

Yes, I nearly always brine my pork. Makes a world of difference.

One thing to note: if you're buying pork that's labeled "enhanced," don't brine it, as it's already been treated/injected with a brining solution, and your chops will likely be too salty.

one of our favs is pork tenderloin. being just two mouths, a 2+/- lb (1 kg) package makes for four meals. $10 normally, BOGO makes that 8 mains for $10 - quite economical for a tenderloin of 'anything'
not found it necessary to brine the tenderloin - flour dredged, takes 2+/- minutes per side...

We are not big on pork here, but big lamb eaters. If we win meat raffles with pork, we give to our daughter. I havnt used the brine and I guess I wil think about it and may try it?.
However we do love pork, it's called pickled pork here and is one of my fave meats Xmas day. With apple sauce. Our son always goes home with a pickled pork n apple sauce sammy.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom