Porterhouse steak

caseydog

Local time
4:07 PM
[Mod.Edit: This an a few other posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Decided we are having beef stir fry. Its marinating now. 1 porterhouse steak cut into strips. Frozen vegetables and oyster sauce. Plate wiped clean with slice of bread.

Russ

This is another confusing meat name thing. In NZ, a Porterhouse steak is entirely different from an American Porterhouse. For any Mercans wondering why rascal would use a Porterhouse for Stir Fry, this is why.

1687911437394.png

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
This is another confusing meat name thing. In NZ, a Porterhouse steak is entirely different from an American Porterhouse. For any Mercans wondering why rascal would use a Porterhouse for Stir Fry, this is why.

View attachment 101763

CD

I buy porterhouse/strip loin?? I'm right eh?
And fillets.. I buy whole strips . So imagine a t bone? I buy all that except the bone.
Yeah it is confusing.
It usually costs me couple of hundy when I shop. Normally with butcher, an actual butcher.

Russ

And fillets.. I buy whole strips . So imagine a t bone? I buy all that except the bone.
Yeah it is confusing.
It usually costs me couple of hundy when I shop. Normally with butcher, an actual butcher.

Russ

An American Porterhouse is a T-Bone, but with a large filet mignon section. As you move down the cow, the filet gets smaller, and that is just a T-bone steak.

1687912365682.png

CD

Yeah it is confusing.

Russ
I like the bones. I simmer them in red wine for a day and scrape off the meat, discarding the bones. I use that for a tomato pasta sauce base, adding mushrooms, onions, and garlic with browned minced beef, lamb, and Italian sausage. Deliciousness!

Here is how a UK butcher describes Porterhouse:

https://www.campbellbrothers.co.uk/meats/steak-guide/#:~:text=The%20best%20of%20both%20one…&text=Both%20the%20T%2Dbone%20and,than%20a%20T%2Dbone%20steak.

The tender fillet and the flavoursome sirloin steak (also known as bone-in-sirloin) and sometimes called a porterhouse or a T-bone. Both steaks are fairly large in size and therefore, fairly high in price, hence why they are recommended for two diners!

Both the T-bone and porterhouse consist of 2 different popular steak cuts sandwiching a T-shaped bone. The main difference between a T-bone and a porterhouse steak is that the porterhouse has a thicker cut of fillet steak; which means it also usually weighs more than a T-bone steak.

Here is how a UK butcher describes Porterhouse:

The tender fillet and the flavoursome sirloin steak (also known as bone-in-sirloin) and sometimes called a porterhouse or a T-bone. Both steaks are fairly large in size and therefore, fairly high in price, hence why they are recommended for two diners!

Both the T-bone and porterhouse consist of 2 different popular steak cuts sandwiching a T-shaped bone. The main difference between a T-bone and a porterhouse steak is that the porterhouse has a thicker cut of fillet steak; which means it also usually weighs more than a T-bone steak.

The UK Porterhouse is the same as the American, from what I could find. Now, we don't call the big side "sirloin." We call it a NY Strip. A sirloin here is a cheaper cut of steak than what is called a sirloin in the UK -- leaner than a NY Strip.

The sirloin in the US comes from just above and below the T-bone/Porterhouse (top sirloin and bottom sirloin).

In the US, the difference between a regular T-bone steak and a Porterhouse is also the size of the filet side, just as in the UK. The Porterhouse comes from the rear part of the short loin, while the regular t-bone comes from the front part of the same short loin.

1687992381432.png

CD

The UK Porterhouse is the same as the American, from what I could find. Now, we don't call the big side "sirloin." We call it a NY Strip. A sirloin here is a cheaper cut of steak than what is called a sirloin in the UK -- leaner than a NY Strip.

The sirloin in the US comes from just above and below the T-bone/Porterhouse (top sirloin and bottom sirloin).

In the US, the difference between a regular T-bone steak and a Porterhouse is also the size of the filet side, just as in the UK. The Porterhouse comes from the rear part of the short loin, while the regular t-bone comes from the front part of the same short loin.

View attachment 101788

CD

I get the one on the right minus bone. Fillet and porterhouse. As you say sirloin is a cheaper cut, not one I would go for
So i will call my porterhouse strip as well for worldly audiences.

Russ

Porterhouse isn’t very common here in Canada. You see T bone regularly, but for some reason not the other.

Back
Top Bottom