Recipe Portobello Mushroom Fajita Tacos

caseydog

Local time
9:28 PM
Portobello Mushroom Fajita Tacos

PortoTaco001.jpg

Ingredients

Seasoning Mix

2 Tablespoons Chipotle Pepper, Ground (more or less depending on your heat tolerance)
1 Tablespoon Comino/Cumin
1 Tablespoon Granulated Garlic
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper

Fajitas

2 Portobello Mushrooms
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Yellow Bell Pepper
1 Large Sweet Onion
2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
EVOO and High Heat Oil
Flour Tortillas
Mexican Crema or Sour Cream
1 Lime
Kosher Salt

Directions

Slice all your ingredients (mise en place). The Mushrooms should be sliced 1/2 inch thick (they will shrink when cooked). TheThe bell peppers and onion should be sliced into quarter-inch slices.

Coat your mushrooms lightly with EVOO, and dust with your seasoning mix.

Heat a heavy pan (I used cast iron) over high heat, and add a high heat oil. Add your portobello mushroom strips, and cook until they have a moderate char. Remove and put aside.

Add more oil to the pan, and lower the heat to medium high. Add your bell peppers and onions. Add salt, and cook until soft and a bit charred. Add garlic for the last 30 seconds.

Build

Warm your tortillas in a pan. Add your mushrooms, peppers and onions. Squeeze some lime juice over the top. Drizzle with Mexican Crema or sour cream (optional -- for the vegans). Garnish with cilantro, if you wish.

CD

Portobello Mushroom Fajita Tacos

View attachment 73402

Ingredients

Seasoning Mix

2 Tablespoons Chipotle Pepper, Ground (more or less depending on your heat tolerance)
1 Tablespoon Comino/Cumin
1 Tablespoon Granulated Garlic
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper

Fajitas

2 Portobello Mushrooms
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Yellow Bell Pepper
1 Large Sweet Onion
2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
EVOO and High Heat Oil
Flour Tortillas
Mexican Crema or Sour Cream
1 Lime
Kosher Salt

Directions

Slice all your ingredients (mise en place). The Mushrooms should be sliced 1/2 inch thick (they will shrink when cooked). TheThe bell peppers and onion should be sliced into quarter-inch slices.

Coat your mushrooms lightly with EVOO, and dust with your seasoning mix.

Heat a heavy pan (I used cast iron) over high heat, and add a high heat oil. Add your portobello mushroom strips, and cook until they have a moderate char. Remove and put aside.

Add more oil to the pan, and lower the heat to medium high. Add your bell peppers and onions. Add salt, and cook until soft and a bit charred. Add garlic for the last 30 seconds.

Build

Warm your tortillas in a pan. Add your mushrooms, peppers and onions. Squeeze some lime juice over the top. Drizzle with Mexican Crema or sour cream (optional -- for the vegans). Garnish with cilantro, if you wish.

CD

On my to do list for sure

A nice combination of ingredients. I'm not a fan of tacos or any sort of things wrapped in flatbread (I dislike eating 'wraps'). But the filling I would definitely enjoy.

. Add your bell peppers and onions. Add salt, and cook until soft and a bit charred.

I'm glad you said that. I get fed up with seeing recipes where bell peppers are only cooked for a minute or so and thus remain slightly crunchy.

A nice combination of ingredients. I'm not a fan of tacos or any sort of things wrapped in flatbread (I dislike eating 'wraps'). But the filling I would definitely enjoy.

I'm glad you said that. I get fed up with seeing recipes where bell peppers are only cooked for a minute or so and thus remain slightly crunchy.

Tacos are like sandwiches in Texas. They are that ubiquitous here.

As for the peppers and onions, fajitas always come with them, and they are cooked until soft. Not crunchy at all.

The other thing that many people do wrong with fajitas is to pile on too many toppings. They were originally vaquero (cowboy) food, so they were cooked on a plancha on an open fire while camping for the the night. Very simple food.

CD

Back
Top Bottom