Post Bariatric Surgery Diet

I have been making dips lately for my daughter's lunch box and it made me think of your current challenge. I wondered whether some of the classic dips might be a nice treat for your husband. The problem is, I suppose, he would want crackers to dip!

@morning glory

So true. A nice thought but what I think of as dips is not suitable. His protein has to be pure protein. When I cooked the chicken thighs there were lovely vegetables in the gravy. I had to separate the veggies from the meat and puree individually.

I will soon be preparing soft foods rather than pureed.

@morning glory

George is required to have 96 grams of protein each day. I can not measure the protein if it is mixed with veggies.

I have had to dredge up my old math skills to keep track of his requirements.

@jennyb
@morning glory

Thank you for asking.

This morning George weighed in at 279 lbs. :D:highfive::woot:

Another milestone. He is averaging about 1 lb. per day!

He is off of pureed food and on soft food. Nothing dry or difficult to digest.

Chicken, fish, shell fish, pork, eggs.
beef, venison or veal ground only.
Cooked veggies - no raw veggies. He misses his salads.

Portions are still very limited.

Morning

2 oz. protein (2 eggs) = 14 grams nutritional protein
1 oz. fruit

Mid Morning

11 oz. pre mixed protein shake = 30 grams supplemental protein

Noon

2 oz. protein = 14 grams nutritional protein
1 oz. veggies

Afternoon

6 oz. yogurt (he likes Greek yogurt which has more protein than regular yogurt) = 16.5 grams nutritional protein
1 oz. fruit

Evening Meal

Repeat noon meal = 14 oz. nutritional protein

Evening snack

4 oz. protein shake = 10.9 grams supplemental protein

Lots of fluids 80 to 100 oz. per day in the form of water, Jello, popsicles or clear broth.

George has a weakness for cheese so he will sneak in an ounce of cheese each day = 5 to 7 grams nutritional protein.

He does have difficulty getting enough water. He is also being very stubborn about his exercise routine. He is supposed to exercise 30 minutes daily - walking or on his stationary bike. He MAY exercise 3 times a week. BAD BOY!!

He feels good. The weight is coming off and he is not hungry.

We have an appointment with the bariatric team Oct. 10th. After that he will have fewer restrictions and his portions will increase. It will be another 2 months before carbs from bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and other starchy veggies are introduced back into his diet.

All is good. We take it one day and one pound at a time.

:D

I'm glad he is making such good progress @ElizabethB. i think I mentioned a friend of a friend who had a similar op. It took a year before she acme normal weight and she was like a different person. She did do exercises too which I think helps tone muscles as the weight comes off. Five years on she has kept the weight down.

My Sweet Man is so funny.

The other day he asked me to look at his ankles. I asked what was wrong. He said "Nothing is wrong. I actually have ankles and I can see them."

He also has cheekbones.

We have an appointment with our Bariatric Team Tuesday.

My Sweet Man is so funny.

The other day he asked me to look at his ankles. I asked what was wrong. He said "Nothing is wrong. I actually have ankles and I can see them."

He also has cheekbones.

We have an appointment with our Bariatric Team Tuesday.

Its great to hear he is doing so well. Soon he will be eating solids?

@morning glory

He has been on solids for a while. Soft proteins like fish and chicken. Pork as long as it is very moist. No steak or dry protein. No carbs other than what he gets in his fruit, dairy and non starchy veggies. No raw veggies. He misses his salads.

I think (hope) he will be able to have red meat and raw veggies after our appointment tomorrow. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom