Potato Chip Alternatives

Jade

Veteran
Local time
5:58 AM
I think the obvious choice would be whole grain chips, but I'm not that much into wheat and grain, so I rarely go for the wheat chips as alternative for potato chips, but I have to admit they're still pretty good. Personally, I usually reach for pea pod chips when I'm feeling less overindulgent.

3310154766_b3d4fc6b9c.jpg

How about you guys, which healthier alternatives for potato chips do you love?

I don't care for the pea chips but I do know people who love them. For a healthier snacks I make kale chips. Use fresh kale and wash it in cold water and dry. , Cut or tear it into chip size pieces and put in a plastic bag. Use olive oil and balsamic vinegar along with any spices and seasoning and put in the bag and mix. Put on a cookie sheet and into the oven at 250'. Cook for aprox. 35 min., checking frequently. Cool and then EAT!

Last edited:
I just had to peek in this thread about my very favorite crunch-food, potato chips! I'd try the kale chips (thank you for sharing the method, firelily99!) but not so sure I'd like the taste of the pea pod chips.

I don't think I could get used to any of them for a permanent switch... but I'd be willing to try. When it comes to the whole grain chips, I'm thinking that although they may be a little bit healthier, the fat and calorie difference is probably slight.

The pea pods sound interesting, but I have never seen anything like them in the shops in the UK unfortunately. We do have things like roasted chickpeas and roasted broad beans which are wonderfully gnawish and I also make my own kale crisps (though usually with a coating other than balsamic vinegar and salt). I simply love the sweet miso kale crisps and recently tried the teriyaki kale crisps as well. The Nouveau Raw website has a whole load of different flavours for kale crisps which I am slowly working my way through and as mentioned above you can cook them in the oven, but the cooking instructions I found have totally different times for them (200C for 8-10 mins!).

I also came across some crisps made from chickpea/gram flour last time (called Hummus crisps) I was in my parents' local health food shop (these were a UK company called Cofresh) and although I could only have 1 of the flavours because the others contained dairy, they were also very nice!

Quite frankly I'm not trying to go with something similar than potato chips. I absolutely love them and pretty much anything else would be... just not the same. If I want something more healthy I'm going with something different, such as a fruit, some nuts or maybe a milkshake. If I'd get a "replacement" then I'd just be wondering why I didn't get the real thing since they taste better.

I really avoid eating junk foods with lots of salt and preservatives like the potato chips. So if I want to eat potato chips I made it from scratch. Potatoes thinly sliced with a dash of salt then deep fry it and its done and I am already satisfied for my cravings for this kind of chips.

I don't have a replacement for my chip addiction but I have recently discovered a new liking on the Veggie straws and the popcorn chips. They all are so good and tasty. Nothing will replace my Saltbn Vinegar chips dipped in yogurt addiction.

The pea pods sound interesting, but I have never seen anything like them in the shops in the UK unfortunately. We do have things like roasted chickpeas and roasted broad beans which are wonderfully gnawish and I also make my own kale crisps (though usually with a coating other than balsamic vinegar and salt). I simply love the sweet miso kale crisps and recently tried the teriyaki kale crisps as well. The Nouveau Raw website has a whole load of different flavours for kale crisps which I am slowly working my way through and as mentioned above you can cook them in the oven, but the cooking instructions I found have totally different times for them (200C for 8-10 mins!).

I also came across some crisps made from chickpea/gram flour last time (called Hummus crisps) I was in my parents' local health food shop (these were a UK company called Cofresh) and although I could only have 1 of the flavours because the others contained dairy, they were also very nice!
I do like the hummus crisps which is kind of a surprise to me. The kale chips that I make are really good and when I am too lazy to make them I buy the sweet potato chips which are quite tasty. Ironically I am not a real fan of sweet potatoes but I do like them as fries and chips.

I have a sweet tooth, so banana chips and apple chips are it for me--especially since most banana chips come caramelized, although there seem to be some freeze-dried ones that aren't but I haven't tried those yet. Apple chips are good.

Where I live also has soy-based vegetarian pork rinds that taste exactly like pork rinds, but fluffier, which makes it better.

I don't think I've ever found anything that truly replaces crisps for me. I've tried, lord knows I've tried, but nothing just...feels the same, you know? Especially since I love crisp sandwhiches. The best I've managed in this regard is to go for the healthier brands, and the ones that reduce salt or use sunflower oil, stuff like that you know?

I don't think I've ever found anything that truly replaces crisps for me. I've tried, lord knows I've tried, but nothing just...feels the same, you know? Especially since I love crisp sandwhiches. The best I've managed in this regard is to go for the healthier brands, and the ones that reduce salt or use sunflower oil, stuff like that you know?

I know what you mean. I'm so much of a potato chip snob that I even notice the difference whenever companies switch to healthier oils and I can't get over the subtle difference, so finding substitutes for the unhealthy stuff gets really difficult. The best option I came up with was to just shift to a different ingredient altogether so that I won't have any prior impressions to compare it to, of which the favorite I've found is pea pod chips but it's definitely still very much different from the indulgent potato chip.

I know what you mean. I'm so much of a potato chip snob that I even notice the difference whenever companies switch to healthier oils and I can't get over the subtle difference, so finding substitutes for the unhealthy stuff gets really difficult. The best option I came up with was to just shift to a different ingredient altogether so that I won't have any prior impressions to compare it to, of which the favorite I've found is pea pod chips but it's definitely still very much different from the indulgent potato chip.
I've never had that much problem with the chance in oil myself. Then again, I've stopped buying crisps as much as I used to;simply because I actually have to pay for them now!

By which I mean, in the past few years-god it's been longer than I thought-I've had to buy my own food because I don't live with my parents anymore, and crisps were one of the first things to go when I had to cut things from my shopping list...and now I'm really hungry for a crisp sandwich.

Would it be more cost-effective to slice up the potatoes really thinly, brush them with oil, and toss them all in a high-heat toaster oven? That's what I used to do, but it was more for the novelty of making my own crisps--I never actually sat down to the numbers and saw whether or not it was cheaper to just buy a bag of crisps. I didn't have a mandolin, so I sliced them (the potatoes, not the economics) very thinly with a knife which took quite a bit of time. They'd come out uneven, being homemade, and not deep-fried or even baked but toasted, but still crispy.

I make kale chips, but don't think they taste similar to potato chips as much as they're a healthy alternative. I also buy Trader Joe's soy crackers, they're tiny (barely larger than a quarter) and have a great salty taste to them. The best part is they are low in fat and calories.

Would it be more cost-effective to slice up the potatoes really thinly, brush them with oil, and toss them all in a high-heat toaster oven? That's what I used to do, but it was more for the novelty of making my own crisps--I never actually sat down to the numbers and saw whether or not it was cheaper to just buy a bag of crisps. I didn't have a mandolin, so I sliced them (the potatoes, not the economics) very thinly with a knife which took quite a bit of time. They'd come out uneven, being homemade, and not deep-fried or even baked but toasted, but still crispy.
Hmm...depends what kinds of crisps you're buying I guess. I mean, I can buy a 1KG bag of potatoes for roughly five pounds. A bag of crisps, a big 24 pack say, would cost me two pounds or so. So I could buy two big packs for the same as a big pack of potatoes. However, with the potatoes, because they're HUGE I could make a lot of crisps from just the one potato, you know?

Back
Top Bottom