Pre/Post-work out meals

janineaa

Veteran
Local time
12:58 PM
Hi!

I've recently started working out and I really am trying to become healthier when it comes to my food choices. I just want to know what your usual pre and post workout meals are? For a pre-workout meal, what usually gives you a lot of energy? In addition, for post-workout meals, what food tastes good that is full of protein?

I think the main question is: what time of the day do you work out?
A pre workout meal will be very different if you take it at 7am or 7pm. :p

The answer to your question also depends on the nature of your workouts and your objective. My answers would be very different for someone trying to lose weight than they would be for someone trying to gain muscle.

As a general rule, don't eat right before the workout - you need time to digest. Go with a slow burning meal rather than quick energy. Oats instead of fruitloops for breakfast for example. After the workout, protein is good for muscle building, but if losing weight is the issue, water is your best bet because fat burning occurs when the quick energy reserves are depleted in the cells and blood.

I try not to eat before a workout that way my body uses stored energy. I also can't really run with food in my stomach. Then I feel like I am just going to throw it up. After a workout I'll drink a greens shake or a protein shake.

Well, I usually work out in the afternoon around 3pm. So for my pre-workout meal I would probably have a bit of carbs like sweet potato. But I would wait about an hour to an hour and a half before I start to work out so I don't get sick. My goal is to just lose the fat around the belly area and then gain more muscles.

Pre workout I always eat fruits. Apples, pineapples, dried fruit like dates, anything goes. Fruits are not heavy on your stomach and do not make you sluggish. After a heavy workout, I tend to eat anything high in protein. Usually a good steak with some boiled veggies. I stay away from empty carbs coming from pasta or white bread.

Well, I usually work out in the afternoon around 3pm. So for my pre-workout meal I would probably have a bit of carbs like sweet potato. But I would wait about an hour to an hour and a half before I start to work out so I don't get sick. My goal is to just lose the fat around the belly area and then gain more muscles.

In that case your workout is pretty well in the middle of two proper meals. Definitely some carbs for lunch, roughly 1.5 - 2h before you start your training.
Since it's mostly about losing fat I'd recommend fruits or vegetables, after work out.. A couple of bananas or something similar will make the hunger go away until it's time to eat dinner. If you aren't too hungry, I still recommend having a fruit since that way you won't find yourself eating ridiculous amounts at dinner time.

Good idea! It's probably best with fruits and veggies so it's light and at the same time it gives energy.

Back
Top Bottom