Preparing Food For Picky Eaters

My colleague is married to a fussy eater, a couple of years ago they had a holiday in China, they ate in McDonalds every day because wouldn't try anything, not even street food which for me is part of the holiday. We are talking about a 50 something man who made a scene in a restaurant, choking and gagging because they put a slice of tomato in his burger, he didn't know it was there until he bit into it and he made a right hooey. A slice of tomato :facepalm:

I am hypertensive and I really think I should use less salt and generally do a lot of what you are doing. Consistency is such a problem for me and I honestly have not found a way to make my meals as tasty as I like them without that touch of "salt" or more than a touch honestly. It's such a problem staying away from all the seasonings. I need to be more "picky". Truth be told when I am speaking about being picky myself it always has something to with taste or how a meal is prepared as opposed to the actual product.

Herbs, herbs, herbs! Get that itinerant gardener to put in more beds of herbs so you have a good supply of fresh ones. I also use a dry blend called Spike that I get at the health food store, though occasionally I can find it at the regular markets. I've even ordered it from Amazon when I couldn't find the salt free one locally. Sometimes it's a question of being accustomed to the natural flavor of the food after we've had it over seasoned or boiled to death or drowned in a sauce.

My colleague is married to a fussy eater, a couple of years ago they had a holiday in China, they ate in McDonalds every day because wouldn't try anything, not even street food which for me is part of the holiday. We are talking about a 50 something man who made a scene in a restaurant, choking and gagging because they put a slice of tomato in his burger, he didn't know it was there until he bit into it and he made a right hooey. A slice of tomato :facepalm:

Ugh! That is awful! (And so childish.) When I was in Spain there was a couple at the next table one day in Madrid, and the wife was eating pizza and going on about how she rarely does it at home and how good it was. I said I love pizza and have it on average a few times per month. She suggested I try it and I said "No disrespect, but I didn't come all the way to Spain to eat pizza."

He needs to add drinking soda to that list...

He does not drink soda often.

He was banned by his parents from drinking so much of it, as were his other 2 siblings.
When they were here, they would kill a whole 2-liter diet or regular soda in less than 2 hours!!
I had to stop them from doing that! It was ridiculous the way that they went through soda!!
They just had to be stopped from doing that! Especially the older brother. He has ADHD and if he consumes too much sugar, he goes into a hysterical fit of laughing out loud & screaming!! It happens in some children when they consume too much sugary things!! :ohmy: :stop:

Last edited:
Herbs, herbs, herbs! Get that itinerant gardener to put in more beds of herbs so you have a good supply of fresh ones. I also use a dry blend called Spike that I get at the health food store, though occasionally I can find it at the regular markets. I've even ordered it from Amazon when I couldn't find the salt free one locally. Sometimes it's a question of being accustomed to the natural flavor of the food after we've had it over seasoned or boiled to death or drowned in a sauce.

ChanellG, you are not going to believe it. It looks like the itinerant gardener is going to have to take very long leave unless I can persuade my husband to give him a second chance. The man goes and steals a phone from my husband and my husband now says he can't step foot back at the place. That's a story for another thread but all I am thinking, "NO ONE CAN WORK LIKE HIM". I am really saddened by the series of events and don't know what to do. He is by far the best and most "affordable" help I have had around here in years: actually, ever.

Back on topic, he was not much of a picky eater and my husband made sure he was well fed even as a paid worker. I have to say, the stolen phone thing comes as no surprise to me as I usually have a good feel for knowing what persons are capable of. All of that said, I am stuck with buying most of my herbs for now as I am hopeless in the garden and my husband simply has no time. Right now I am afraid to check my blood pressure. I really have to try harder before things get worse. I will check out the Spike you mentioned and pray my blood pressure has not "spiked" as a result of all this drama.

ChanellG, you are not going to believe it. It looks like the itinerant gardener is going to have to take very long leave unless I can persuade my husband to give him a second chance... I will check out the Spike you mentioned and pray my blood pressure has not "spiked" as a result of all this drama.

Oh, no! This is not good! Not for you blood pressure, your husband, or your marriage. It may be time to say goodbye to this gardener unless he gives back the phone. Are there any gardening clubs in your area? I think you'll like the Spike! I love it; it makes everything better, even eggs! It will help you be a picky eater in the good way :)

...He was banned by his parents from drinking so much of it, along with his other 2 siblings.
...Especially the older brother... It happens in some children when they consume too much sugary things!! :ohmy: :stop:

I have seen that effect! I know a child who can have the barest amount of sugar and be bouncing off the walls like someone gave him drugs! Diet soda is one of the worse things ever to have been created in history. Natural sugar in moderation is okay, but that fake stuff... ugh!

I have seen that effect! I know a child who can have the barest amount of sugar and be bouncing off the walls like someone gave him drugs! Diet soda is one of the worse things ever to have been created in history. Natural sugar in moderation is okay, but that fake stuff... ugh!

I drink Diet Pepsi, as was told by my doc, cardiologist and nutritionist. It is or seems to be, the only diet soda where there is no bitter after taste.
My older grand nephew, now that I remember it, took two packets of low-cal sweetener at the restaurant table where we were siting, ate them, and now that I think of it, that is what had set him off!!

He started giggling and laughing out loud! As we were leaving the restaurant, it got even worst!! He wouldn't stop laughing and was even trying to get out of the car!! I have to engaged the child locks on both rear doors to keep him from getting out! He was having a petulant fit of laughter and screaming. He scared the living daylights out of me!!!!! Myself and his younger brother had to call there mom. She said that he was just fooling around. Told her that it looked very serious & scary!! I've never seen him do that before!! He IS on medicine to control that though.

Then the 11-year-old sometimes gorges out on eating a lot of fried foods and ends up with a stomachache! If he eats fried food, especially too much of it, he gets sick. He can't tolerate a huge consumption of fried foods! I had to give him some Pepto-Bizmal to make the pain go away! He's on medicine because at times, he gets mad headaches. :ohmy: :eek:

Last edited:
I drink Diet Pepsi, as was told by my doc, cardiologist and nutritionist...

Myself and his younger brother had to call there mom. She said that he was just fooling around. Told her that it looked very serious & scary!!

I am 100% certain the doctor told you that because diet soda is seen as the lesser of evils, but if you read up on artificial sweeteners you'll stop drinking it. Your nephew's mother - your sister?- may have been right. Kids now how to use their "issues" to their advantage to get away with certain behaviors. I once had a student who used to say she hadn't had her meds. Then I started comparing notes with another faculty member and that was the end of that little charade.

I am 100% certain the doctor told you that because diet soda is seen as the lesser of evils, but if you read up on artificial sweeteners you'll stop drinking it. Your nephew's mother - your sister?- may have been right. Kids now how to use their "issues" to their advantage to get away with certain behaviors. I once had a student who used to say she hadn't had her meds. Then I started comparing notes with another faculty member and that was the end of that little charade.

My grand nephews' mom.

Yeah, well they are always bad-mouthing stuff! If you listen to them, you'll probably starve to death!! But they are right about children. Too much sugar is not good for them! :eek:

I even know a boy down the street who is 14, and he also has ADHD.

He likes to gorge out on sugar, and when he does, he starts "bouncing off the walls"!! He runs around like a small child, laughing a giggling as though he were with a bunch of other small kids!! He won't stop until his spell wears off and all his energy is spent up. When it does, he returns to his normal self. Then, he's tired and winded! I feel so bad for him, mainly because when this happens, he has the mind of a 5-y-o child! :( :wacky:

Last edited:
Oh, no! This is not good! Not for you blood pressure, your husband, or your marriage. It may be time to say goodbye to this gardener unless he gives back the phone. Are there any gardening clubs in your area? I think you'll like the Spike! I love it; it makes everything better, even eggs! It will help you be a picky eater in the good way :)

You are right on all counts. It's not good at all. The phone was returned and only yesterday I spoke to my sister who loves him to work by her house as well and she told me he told her he got a new phone from a gentleman. It must be the same phone so I have to conclude he must have a few screws missing to go broadcasting lies like that. For peace I won't even mention it to my husband. There are no gardening clubs here as I am aware.

By some miracle I will see if I can do a little something but I know my strengths and gardening isn't one of them. I just looked up the Spike. Had I known before, I would have picked one up from Walmart when I traveled recently. That's where I am seeing them sold on the net. Based on the price I am seeing at Walmart, if I find it here it is going to cost a fortune. I will still check it out locally.

You are right on all counts. It's not good at all. The phone was returned and only yesterday I spoke to my sister who loves him to work by her house as well and she told me he told her he got a new phone from a gentleman. It must be the same phone so I have to conclude he must have a few screws missing to go broadcasting lies like that. For peace I won't even mention it to my husband. There are no gardening clubs here as I am aware.

By some miracle I will see if I can do a little something but I know my strengths and gardening isn't one of them. I just looked up the Spike. Had I known before, I would have picked one up from Walmart when I traveled recently. That's where I am seeing them sold on the net. Based on the price I am seeing at Walmart, if I find it here it is going to cost a fortune. I will still check it out locally.

Check for it on Amazon; that's where I used to get it when I couldn't find it locally. It's cheaper to get the box if you're having to get it shipped to you. I think you could garden just fine with a little practice; you just have to get over your aversion of bugs. Perhaps your son could help you?

I'm glad the phone was returned. The story he told your sister was basically true - new to him, from a gentleman - only he took it. He definitely has a few screws loose.

...He likes to gorge out on sugar, and when he does, he starts bouncing off the walls!! He runs around like a small child, laughing a giggling as though he were with a bunch of other small kids!! He won't stop until his spell wears off and all his energy is spent up. When it does, he returns to his normal self. Then, he's tired and winded! I feel so bad for him, mainly because when this happens, he has the mind of a 5-y-o child!

I believe it! The chemistry of the brain is a very complicated thing. Many people do not have the inclination to understand it. I've seen the affect sugar has on some children; it's as if someone has given them speed. You can't get some parents to understand that though.

Back
Top Bottom