Preparing for Christmas

We also just watched this weird 1984 program - Scrooge’s Rock and Roll Christmas.

Scrooge’s…niece?…neighbor?…has a magic snowglobe she brings him, and every time she shakes it, they stare into it and watch outside-in-the-snow lip-synced performances by the likes of The Association, Three Dog Night, and other acts that were long since past it by 1984.

I’m guessing the budget was around $900, and Jack Elam got $850 of it for his turn at Scrooge.

We’re currently watching a Ray Coniff Singers TV special from 1965. I don’t know when I’ve seen so many sweaters and turtlenecks in one room in my life. I’ve caught about a third of them here:

View attachment 108118

There were about 30 people on the show, and I captured all the diversity on display. :laugh:

The weirdest part, though, was a little puppet show they had. One was done with a Frosty the Snowman theme, and the other a Santa theme. Thing is, each one featured some truly violent gophers.

In the Frosty bit, for no reason, the gophers jumped on Frosty repeatedly until they got him down on the ground, then they jumped on him some more until Frosty fought back, beating them with his broom until they ran off.

Next, Santa came down the gophers’ chimney, left them a present under their tree while they pretended to be asleep, then as he was going back up the chimney, they leapt after him, pulled him back down, beat the living crap out of him, put him in their bed unconscious, and opened their gift.

:eek:

My mom is a big time Ray Coniff singers fan.

Ah, the good old days, when a white Christmas was a WHITE Christmas. I'm betting those gophers had brown fur. I'm guessing that at least a third of those male singers were gay, but they had the decency to stay in the closet. :laugh:

CD

We also just watched this weird 1984 program - Scrooge’s Rock and Roll Christmas.

Scrooge’s…niece?…neighbor?…has a magic snowglobe she brings him, and every time she shakes it, they stare into it and watch outside-in-the-snow lip-synced performances by the likes of The Association, Three Dog Night, and other acts that were long since past it by 1984.

I’m guessing the budget was around $900, and Jack Elam got $850 of it for his turn at Scrooge.

That reminds me, I need to do my annual watch of A Christmas Carol, the George C Scott version.

I do also like the Bill Murray version, Scrooged.

CD

I was, and still am, a big Three Dog Night fan. Jeremiah was definitely a bullfrog, and he always had some mighty fine wine. And, who of my age can forget Windy, by The Association?

Three Dog Night did a forth of July concert in Frisco about 20 years ago. It was packed, and everyone loved it. Then, the Frisco tight-a$$ organizers wouldn't let them do an encore, and they vowed to never come back -- and they never did. The following year it was some flag waving country and western star, and it was a flop.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTCyjYjsVc8

CD

Last edited:
This is how we watch Hallmark movies in our house:

We’re watching one about the newest generation of Santa (ruggedly handsome, of course) on his first run, with his point man along to smooth things.

Oops…he gets caught by a local reporter while in her house (glamour-girl-next-door good looks, of course), and she thinks he’s robbing her, so she subdues him, endangering Christmas.

That’s when his right-hand man radios back to the North Pole what’s going on, and at the end of the report says, “I can’t believe this is happening! It’s my first time as wing man, and it’s a disaster!” - something like that, anyway.

MrsT and I simultaneously said, “They’d never send a rookie Santa out with a rookie point man! Unbelievable!”

This year’s other new ornament; I almost forgot to order it:

IMG_7057.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom