Preserving lettuce

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
5:45 AM
I was told about a lettuce preservation technique by a friend. Stuff the fresh lettuce into a sealable jar and cover with fresh water. I've had the jar in the fridge now for three weeks and it's still crisp. I shall try with fresh coriander leaf today if we can obtain any.

[Edit: Coriander (and large cayenne chillis) sold out in the supermarket today.]

Tomorrow is the start of the Thai new year so many of the stores will be short on supplies.

Last edited:
I often put the stalk end in a glass of water and that seems to work. Ditto with coriander. I'd not heard of completely covering it in water though.

I haven't heard of the water thing before. My ex-wife taught me to cut out the heart/stalk, as that is where the head of lettuce first goes bad.

BTW, you mean "grass," right? :wink:

CD

I haven't heard of the water thing before. My ex-wife taught me to cut out the heart/stalk, as that is where the head of lettuce first goes bad.

BTW, you mean "grass," right? :wink:

CD

Yes.

For lettuce, I pull all the leaves off, wash and dry them, then into a resealable bag that I squeeze all the air out of. We eat it fast enough that it's not an issue. I've also used the resealable vacuum sealer bags, taking care not to crush the leaves.

For lettuce, I pull all the leaves off, wash and dry them, then into a resealable bag that I squeeze all the air out of. We eat it fast enough that it's not an issue. I've also used the resealable vacuum sealer bags, taking care not to crush the leaves.

I am eating more grass these days than I've ever eaten in my life. If I gave up meat (fat chance) I could probably use my poo pourri for fertiliser.

That is good to know.
I loved seeing the lettuce plucked from a window or terrace pot garden...in the most recent of Hungry Man 's revipe video...
We usually eat up within 2 max 3 days, it is covered in a plastic bag in the fridge.
But I'll try that with lamb's lettuce👍

The results of my experiment to date:

Even thought the lettuce was still crisp after three weeks it was wilting somewhat. After 4 weeks it was only good for compost.

Given the lettuce that I use (green oak in this instance) I think 2 weeks or just over is the optimum storage time.

My experiment with fresh coriander leaf is only just in it's second week.

Back
Top Bottom