(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
8:20 AM
Kuhm Rikon 7-Qt Stainess Steel Pressure Cooker..jpg
Presto..jpg 2.jpg
Presto 16-qt Pressure Canner..jpg
Presto 16-qt Pressure Canner..jpg 2.jpg
012.JPG

How many of you own a pressure cooker or a pressure canner?

I think that they are a great time saver when it comes to wanting something like a pot roast soup or stew done in about 1/3 the time that it would take doing it the normal way!!

I also have the pressure canner as well!! :)

I have a pressure cooker. It is a older model that my mother had. I usually use it to cook pot roost or stew.

I have a pressure cooker that my mom gave me for Christmas last year and it is still in it's packaging because I am terrified of using it. I am convinced it's going to explode even though I know that is really rare with newer models.

Anyone who's never tried using a pressure cooker before, or even thinks that they're dangerous without even learning a little bit more about them, they'll quickly assume the wrong things about them. And so, one automatically assumes that the worst is about to happen. Their #1 fear above all else, believe it or not, is that it might blow up during use.

But when used properly, and according to the manufacturer's instructions, they are just as safe as an ordinary pot. I still have YET to hear anything about one having blown up. None of mine have in the past, nor have any of the ones that I have now, have blown up. Because there are built-in safety features that help preclude that mishap from ever happening. And I don't use them recklessly or carelessly.

They're met with very strict manufacturing safety standards and comply with United Labratories (their 2-letter logo is stamped on these and most other comsumer products for home use), meaning that they are very safe to use and meet or exceed all safety requirements set forth by the U.S. Gov't. The only time that they would ever become dangerous to use is if the owner or consumer messes up in some way and puts himself or herself in harm's way. This is why very strict instructions are given and should be followed with each one.

Respect the unit and the use of one, and it'll give you many, many, many years of safe, trouble-free reliable and enjoyable operation. Replace the gaskets, handles and other parts when they begin to crack or wear out (I've done that with one of mine, I've replaced the gasket and handles, and it still works like new), and you'll be helping the unit maintain its reliable trouble-free & safe qualities.

In other words, treat it right, and it'll be your friend for life. Just make sure that you "dot the i's and cross the t's". That's a true guarrantee! :wink:

Last edited:
Anyone who's never tried using a pressure cooker, or even thinks that they're dangerous without even learning a little bit more about them, they'll quickly assume the wrong things about them. And so, one automatically assumes that the worst is about to happen. Their #1 fear above all else, believe it or not, is that it might blow up during use.

But when used properly, and according to the manufacturer's instructions, they are just as safe as an ordinary pot. I still have YET to hear anything about one having blown up. None of mine have in the past, nor have any of the ones that I have now, have blown up. Because there are built-in safety features that help preclude that mishap from ever happening. And I don't use them recklessly or carelessly.

In other words, treat it right, and it'll be your friend for life. Just make sure that you "dot the i's and cross the t's". That's a true guarrantee! :wink:

I admit that I consider pressure cookers to be unsafe. My mom had one when I was younger. We weren't allowed to use it because it was unsafe.She said that it could blow up if used incorrectly. I'm not sure if that was true during that time. It's been awhile since I was a kid. :wink: I have seen a few in Target and was surprised that they were still on the market. Clearly, I have some learning to do.

The first one that I've ever used WAS our mom's unit. I was about 17 or 18 back then.

Before a pressure cooker ever "flips its lid", there is a safety pressure release valve that opens to let the steam pressure escape. This is considered normal and does it to protect people in the kitchen.

Pressure cookers are very safe, trust me on it! Who would know that any better than ME - presently having THREE of them at once? I know it.:wink:

I have an electric pressure cooker, Nesco brand, and I love it. In fact, if you are worried about safety, I would suggest going with an electric model. Just make sure that it can get up to 15 PSI (the measurement of how much pressure the unit can get up to inside). Some electric models won't get this high and as a result require longer cooking times. The Nesco one does.

You get a couple of extra benefits from using an electric model. The unit will automatically shut off on it's own and go into a warming mode. So if you happen to step away for a moment and lose track of time, you don't have to worry about overheating your pressure cooker too much. Also, the temperature itself is controlled electronically so you don't need to worry about if you have your burner too high or too low. You will get much more consistent cooking results from it, and when you are pressure cooking, every minute counts. One minute over or under could mean a dish is under or overcooked, especially with veggies. The electric models are also usually multi purpose, meaning you can steam, slow cook or use them like a standard pot on a burner to brown and saute stuff. Though, to be honest I would never bother using mine to steam something, and I rarely use it as a burner.

The regular stove top models have some advantages too though. They are less bulky than an electric model. A 6 quart electric model is about the size of an 8 quart stove top model. They are often stainless steel, so they are more durable for cleaning, as opposed to the non-stick coatings on the electric models. They are also lighter to pick up and store away. And when you need to brown stuff such as meats, before pressure cooking or slow cooking them, you can get the pot up to a much higher temperature on the stove than you can with the burner mode on the electric models. You can also take them off the heat immediately, unlike electric models, which just turn off and gradually cool down. The main down side with them though is you need to time them yourself with your own timer, and you cannot leave the kitchen when cooking with them. As safe as they are, if you are bringing a pan up to pressure and don't lower the heat back down when the nozzle starts whistling, that could spell trouble. Heaven forbid maybe your pet accidentally runs out the door and you have to take off after them while your pressure cooker is running on the stove - stuff like that makes me nervous about using a stove top model, At least I can relax knowing the electric one will shut off on its own.

There is still a possibility of food "exploding" after you open the lid too, sometimes packets of steam will build up at the bottom of the pot under the food, then release all of a sudden. A similar thing will happen with liquids heated in the microwave, sometimes a bowl or cup of water will "blow up" when you take it out of the microwave and expose it to room temperature air. I'm not sure what causes this, but I think stirring the items real well before cooking is suppose to help prevent this. Not to freak you out though, it rarely ever happened to me. I think it was only one time when I was cooking a thick pasta sauce in my pressure cooker. Just try and step back a bit when you first take the lid off, and give it a gentle stir before looking face down into the pot.

There are also little pressure cooker units that can be used in the microwave oven.

Too small for me, especially when doing a pot roast, soup or stew!! :eek:

We have a pressure cooker. My mom uses it to make meat (especially beef) soft before adding it to a dish such as kare-kare. Sadly, I think that our pressure cooker is no longer being used regularly because it is too small.

I used to get the 4-qt size, but it became too small, especially when I wanted to pressure cook large amounts of things.

So I went to the 6-qt size. They even make a 2-qt size!! That's way too small for me!!! :eek:

Anyone who's never tried using a pressure cooker, or even thinks that they're dangerous without even learning a little bit more about them, they'll quickly assume the wrong things about them. And so, one automatically assumes that the worst is about to happen. Their #1 fear above all else, believe it or not, is that it might blow up during use.

They're met with very strict manufacturing safety standards and comply with United Labratories (their 2-letter logo is stamped on these and most other comsumer products for home use), meaning that they are very safe to use and meet or exceed all safety requirements set forth by the U.S. Gov't. The only time that they would ever become dangerous to use is if the owner or consumer messes up in some way and puts himself or herself in harm's way. This is why very strict instructions are given and should be followed with each one.

Respect the unit and the use of one, and it'll give you many, many, many years of safe, trouble-free reliable and enjoyable operation. Replace the gaskets, handles and other parts when they begin to crack or wear out (I've done that with one of mine, I've replaced the gasket and handles, and it still works like new), and you'll be helping the unit maintain its reliable trouble-free & safe qualities.

I've had a pressure cooker explode on me. :) Granted, it was pretty old. I was cooking lentils and they must have clogged the main pressure shizzy (the thing that dances around the middle) So one of the auxilliary valves (I'm just making up terms here haha) blew out. It was not as violent as you would expect. It was at full pressure and the worst was there was a slight bang followed by a lot of hissing.

So even at its worst, a pressure cooker is nothing to fear. :)

Yeah, chances are, that is what caused the safety valve to release the pressure and steam.
Starchy build-up in the steam valve.

I pressure cook pinto beans for about an hour, then I release the pressure and let them finish by boiling down some of the liquid until it starts to thicken. :hungry:

Yeah, chances are, that is what caused the safety valve to release the pressure and steam.
Starchy build-up in the steam valve.

I pressure cook pinto beans for about an hour, then I release the pressure and let them finish by boiling down some of the liquid until it starts to thicken. :hungry:

An HOUR? Do they hold up? I'd imagine they'd be mashed by that time. :laugh:

I usually just cook mine for around 30 minutes. Do you pre-soak them? :)

Back
Top Bottom