Pressure Cooker / Canner. Who has One?

An HOUR? Do they hold up? I'd imagine they'd be mashed by that time. :laugh:

I usually just cook mine for around 30 minutes. Do you pre-soak them? :)

1. Yes.

2. No

I just pick over them, wash them, put them into the cooker, add enough water to cover, throw in some smoked meat, chopped onions, garlic, place the lid on, seal it and set the burner for about medium high.

When the jiggler starts to hiss & release some stem, I turn the burner down and start timing it for up to an hour. The beans still remain whole, but soft.

I used to let them pressure cook for less than that, about 45 minutes and then check, but found out that they were still hard!! :eek:

Ah. That explains it. :) Pre-soaked beans cook much quicker, so if you're trying to save a buck (or time) it's a good thing to practice. :)

Even when I DON'T pressure cook them, I still don't pre-soak them.

It is just that cooking them in a regular pot takes longer. :eek:

I have an electric pressure cooker, Nesco brand, and I love it. In fact, if you are worried about safety, I would suggest going with an electric model. Just make sure that it can get up to 15 PSI (the measurement of how much pressure the unit can get up to inside). Some electric models won't get this high and as a result require longer cooking times. The Nesco one does.

You get a couple of extra benefits from using an electric model. The unit will automatically shut off on it's own and go into a warming mode. So if you happen to step away for a moment and lose track of time, you don't have to worry about overheating your pressure cooker too much. Also, the temperature itself is controlled electronically so you don't need to worry about if you have your burner too high or too low. You will get much more consistent cooking results from it, and when you are pressure cooking, every minute counts. One minute over or under could mean a dish is under or overcooked, especially with veggies. The electric models are also usually multi purpose, meaning you can steam, slow cook or use them like a standard pot on a burner to brown and saute stuff. Though, to be honest I would never bother using mine to steam something, and I rarely use it as a burner.

The regular stove top models have some advantages too though. They are less bulky than an electric model. A 6 quart electric model is about the size of an 8 quart stove top model. They are often stainless steel, so they are more durable for cleaning, as opposed to the non-stick coatings on the electric models. They are also lighter to pick up and store away. And when you need to brown stuff such as meats, before pressure cooking or slow cooking them, you can get the pot up to a much higher temperature on the stove than you can with the burner mode on the electric models. You can also take them off the heat immediately, unlike electric models, which just turn off and gradually cool down. The main down side with them though is you need to time them yourself with your own timer, and you cannot leave the kitchen when cooking with them. As safe as they are, if you are bringing a pan up to pressure and don't lower the heat back down when the nozzle starts whistling, that could spell trouble. Heaven forbid maybe your pet accidentally runs out the door and you have to take off after them while your pressure cooker is running on the stove - stuff like that makes me nervous about using a stove top model, At least I can relax knowing the electric one will shut off on its own.

There is still a possibility of food "exploding" after you open the lid too, sometimes packets of steam will build up at the bottom of the pot under the food, then release all of a sudden. A similar thing will happen with liquids heated in the microwave, sometimes a bowl or cup of water will "blow up" when you take it out of the microwave and expose it to room temperature air. I'm not sure what causes this, but I think stirring the items real well before cooking is suppose to help prevent this. Not to freak you out though, it rarely ever happened to me. I think it was only one time when I was cooking a thick pasta sauce in my pressure cooker. Just try and step back a bit when you first take the lid off, and give it a gentle stir before looking face down into the pot.
Power Pressure Cooker XL.jpg

I bought THIS one - the Power Pressure Cooker XL, at a Target store in late February, and it works great!!
Made quite a few things in it so far!! :wink:

Last edited:
We have one [ok I admit it's my wife's really] but she uses it for the usual stews etc. They are however VERY handy when camping - you can cook several things at once and do it quickly on one gas ring [great when you've only got a small stove to work with].

I used one for doing a slow cooked meat at a culinary competition years ago ,to speed the process up,they have their uses ,but the UK seems to have lost love for them now,it needs a celebrity chef to reintroduce them on a prime time
:chef:
Pressure fryers are used commercially in fried chicken restaurants ,I have never used one but they look a great bit of kit

012.JPG

My Fagor 6-qt pressure cooker can pressure fry chicken.
I've used it several times for this purpose. The chicken comes out fantastic!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom