Produce in your region (including meat & fish)

That was actually my point. I'm sure they are good, but only a lucky few get to eat them. Overall, commercial tomatoes from Florida do not taste good. Same with Texas tomatoes, and Texas corn. It is just not our thing.

CD
Florida corn is pretty good. Georgia's is better.

Maybe we could move this to a thread "How good is the produce near you?"

I'm very excited that I will have fresh tomatoes, jalapenos, and lettuce soon. I harvested some of my spinach for a homemade pizza a few days ago. It was spectacular.

Tomatoes, sweet corn, green/yellow beans, cucumbers, peppers, peaches, zucchini/squash, and GRAPES are all seasonal produce up here on the shores of Lake Erie. I am sure I missed a few.

We get the standard stuff. There are a lot of full-time farmers' markets, and we have to be careful with those, as they get so much shipped in from out-of-state, you may as well be shopping at Walmart. :(

We do have a little family farm right around the corner from us, and I've gotten corn, tomatoes, cukes, etc there, all good. This year, for the first time ever, we're going to buy into a monthly produce box for the autumn season. Let me see if I can copy the list from their website...

...well, I got their link, that should work:

https://www.thatguysfamilyfarm.com/...77/2019-20_winter_share_availability_list.pdf

100% of that is grown about four miles from my house.

From a large scale commercial perspective, Texas does rice and sugar cane as the biggest crops food. Citrus from the Rio Grande valley, in particular Ruby Red Grapefruit, are also good products. Most other big cash crops are feed for cattle.

We have excellent peaches -- for a few weeks per year. But, that's how peaches are. I know from having my own peach tree. They are very seasonal.

You can grow a lot of things here, but finding them in a grocery store is unlikely. My sister's tomatoes are excellent, but she has a well-built, all cedar raised garden with heavily amended soil that her brother built for her. What a nice brother. :okay:

Basically, and tomatoes you grow in your own yard, and pick when fully ripened, are going to be much better than what you are likely to find in a grocery store. That goes for Texas, Florida, Ohio or most other states.

CD

We get the standard stuff. There are a lot of full-time farmers' markets, and we have to be careful with those, as they get so much shipped in from out-of-state, you may as well be shopping at Walmart. :(

The same thing goes for the local "farmer's market" in Frisco. It is mostly the same produce you will find at Kroger, coming from the same sources. The farmer's market in downtown Dallas is better, but those farmers also have a pretty reliable customer base in top-shelf restaurants.

CD

Our largest commercial crops in Ohio, according to Google, are soybeans, then corn. We also produce apples, grapes (Ohio was the leading wine producer in the US at one time), and strawberries.

We also grow a lot of cucumbers, potatoes, sweet corn, tomatoes, cabbage, lettuce, celery, peppers, and snap beans.

Like I said, the usual stuff. Thanks, Google. :)

This about sums up what is grown and sold seasonally in Splits "Green Market". It's open 6 days a week, the stalls are all for local producers. IT looks early in the week as Friday and Saturday every pitch is filled. Young Croatians by imported out of season fruit and veg from the supermarket. The middle aged and Elderly stick to seasonal produce. Next door is a 50 pitch fish market so they by the fish daily and then decide what to eat with it. If the gou had gone further through the clothes section he would have come up to six stall selling every part of the pig smoked including the famous Prsut.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmcWscIIgMA

One of my fond memories of the brief time I lived in Houston was buying freshly caught shrimp from people in vans. I lived and worked along Westheimer Road, a major business thoroughfare on Houston's West side. I would stop at one of the vans after work, and buy jumbo shrimp for around two bucks a pound, and take it home to cook everyday you can cook shrimp -- well, not as many as Bubba in Forrest Gump. But, it was fresh -- cargo vans with big coolers full of shrimp caught that morning on ice.

That was in 1984. I'm sure things have changed.

CD

One of my fond memories of the brief time I lived in Houston was buying freshly caught shrimp from people in vans. I lived and worked along Westheimer Road, a major business thoroughfare on Houston's West side. I would stop at one of the vans after work, and buy jumbo shrimp for around two bucks a pound, and take it home to cook everyday you can cook shrimp -- well, not as many as Bubba in Forrest Gump. But, it was fresh -- cargo vans with big coolers full of shrimp caught that morning on ice.

That was in 1984. I'm sure things have changed.

CD
I have the same memories driving through Mississippi on my way back from New Orleans to Florida. Fresh off the boat, head on, variety of sizes but such great prices! I hear they still do it, but now they have to buy vendor's licenses to sell on the side of the road so they upped the prices a bit. Nobody ever bothered them back when I lived down there.

I have the same memories driving through Mississippi on my way back from New Orleans to Florida. Fresh off the boat, head on, variety of sizes but such great prices! I hear they still do it, but now they have to buy vendor's licenses to sell on the side of the road so they upped the prices a bit. Nobody ever bothered them back when I lived down there.
I have the same memories about buying boiled peanuts along the side of the road in Florida. :)

Back
Top Bottom