Prune cake?

thegrey

Veteran
Local time
7:58 PM
I know this is a strange question, but has anyone here heard of prune cake? I remember when I was a small child, we had a family reunion every year, on my Grandmother's birthday. I had one aunt who always brought prune cake. Although it may sound dreadful, it was the most delicious thing I ever remember tasting! It was all moist and spicy, really yummy! All my family members are gone now, and I never got her recipe, or any recipe for this cake. Does anyone know of such a thing?

I have tried different prune cakes out side the uk but not such a big seller over here,France and Portugal yes,
We tend to use dates in cakes a lot especially pudding style cakes like stickey toffee pudding we even have a dried apricot cake

First time hearing of it. Don't think that I'd want to try it. :stop:
HAHAHA! I know right? It sounds really weird and out there, but it is sooo good! If I can ever get a good-sounding recipe for it, I will have to try my hand at it, but I just don't think I could make it taste like my aunt did.
Your response made me laugh, because it reminded me of a story I heard once about an old lady who made something called, Prune and Carrot pie! When I heard about that, I had about the same response as you did! :laugh:

My mom introduced me to prune cake sometime ago. It is great, very moist and rich. I like it but it is so rich it is not something you make all the time. The one I make has butter milk in it.

I hear prunes and I am thinking relief from constipation. Because of that association I read that they are calling them dried plums to remove the stigma so to speak. Anyway I did do a little search and decided to share this recipe with you. It's not something I'm about to try just yet but it sounds like it could be quite good. I opted for the old fashioned recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/old-fashioned-prune-cake/

This is similar to the one I make, it does take some time to make but really good. The prunes do not send you to the bathroom. They give the cake a nice strong taste. It is really good. I would make it and freeze it to have with coffee and a special time. The cake is so rich you do not want to try and eat it on a regular basis or alone. Thanks for posting the recipe.

winterybella, thank you so much for posting this recipe! It looks and sounds really good! I'm going to try it when I have some time off work.

When I saw the prunes the first thing that came to mind was some visits to the bathroom. Even when you speak of it being so rich, it still frightens me.:) Then you say it's going to take some time and that too is not going to get very far on my ' to do" list. Maybe somewhere down the road.What I will say is that I suspect it will be quite tasty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom