Pulled Pork

Buy it from a supermarket. Sainsburys do a really good one, you baste with the juices part way through and it taste delicious.

Pulled pork is in our regular meal rotation here. I'll try to make this simple.

Ingredients:
  • Boston Butt or Pork Shoulder Roast (I get them at $1/lb on sale)
  • 1/2c BBQ sauce
  • 1/2c. water
  • 3T mustard (any variety, experiment)
  • Salt, pepper, other spices to taste.
Directions:
  1. Brown defrosted pork on all sides and liberally coat with salt and pepper to seal in the flavor.
  2. Place the meat fat side up in slow cooker.
  3. Mix water, BBQ, and mustard. Pour over meat.
  4. Cook low and slow all day.
  5. Before eating, if you wish, remove the 1" fat from the top of the pork. Then "pull" the meat with two forks.
  6. Serve alone, on buns with slaw, in tortillas with pineapple, the possibilities are endless.
Tips:
  • Brown a big piece of meat on the grill. Easier than the stovetop.
  • Use a slow-cooker liner for easy clean up.
  • Add vinegar instead of water for a more authentic "North Carolina" style BBQ flavor.

Claire you stole my recipe! Just kidding, but yours sounds almost exactly like ours. We do make our own rub to put on it and we cook low and slow, often overnight.

Living in a cramped city, I was really bemoaning the fact that I couldn't make good pulled pork because I had no room for a smoker. I decided to try making some in my crock pot and I found it to be incredible!

You will need:

3 - 3.5 lb pork shoulder
1 medium onion, sliced
1 cup hard apple cider
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tblspoon kosher salt
2 tsp. ground black pepper

Place half the sliced onions on the bottom of the crock pot.
Mix all dry ingredients except the sugar and rub well all over the pork.
Place rubbed pork on top of the onions.
In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients with the brown sugar.
Pour mixture over the pork
Cover the pork with remaining onions.
Cook pork on low for 7-8 hours or until the pork is fall-apart tender. If you can't shred it easily with a fork, you're not done cooking.

Serve on sandwich buns alongside some good coleslaw, potato salad, and your favorite barbeque sauce, if you desire. Personally, I like to make my own sauce out of the drippings. If you don't have a crock pot I'm sure you could just do the same thing in the oven, just let go low and slow.

This is a very popular item in the South (U.S.). Hickory smoked is the rule. Marinate your meat with vinegar or lemon juice for a few hours before slow smoking. Stud with garlic. Be sure to place on a shallow pan so that you can baste with its juices. It's done when it will pull apart. Add your favorite B.B.Q. sauce and enjoy. This is a serious money-maker for festival concessions.

I prefer to roast mine in the oven for several hours, as opposed to using a slow cooker or a pressure cooker. The dry rub and sauce I choose to use vary depending on what I am in the mood for, but I am rather fond of the "Bone Sucking Sauce" brand of dry rubs and sauces. I almost always ad a few dashes of Hickory Liquid Smoke as well.

I usually cook a two pound bonless ribeye roast, which I will cut in half to help it cook faster and more evenly. Coat it with the dry rub, and place it in a baking dish that is only slightly larger than the roast (like an 8" x 8") and has a tight fitting lid. I will add maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water, but that's it. Then just roast it at 250 degrees for at least 5 and a half hours - do not open the oven at all. Then drain the excess liquid, and toss with the BBQ sauce. I don't like putting the BBQ sauce on it during the cooking process because it usually burns and or becomes diluted.

Back
Top Bottom