Puntarelle and other types of chicory/endive

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:16 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
[Mod. edit. This post copied over and following few moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Puntarelle

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a series of photos (and recipe) using puntarelle a while back but don't think I ever posted them. I even bought a puntarelle shredder! Its rarely seen here and I doubt many will know about it.

A great veggie, isn’t it?
The name Puntarelle is mostly used in Rome and its area where they are such a staple in Roman cuisine. In other parts of Italy they are also called and known as Cicoria or Catalogna (Chicory Catalogna).
As you know it can be eaten both cooked and raw. I love both ways!

Last edited:
A great veggie, isn’t it?
The name Puntarelle is mostly used in Rome and its area where it’s such a staple in Roman cuisine. In other parts of Italy they are also called and known as Cicoria or Catalogna (Chicory Catalogna).
As you know it can be eaten both cooked and raw. I love both ways!

Yeah, its lovely. I like chicory in any form. Quite why I bought the special shredder I don't know! I can very rarely get puntarelle here (if at all) and to date, I haven't found another use for it.

Yeah, its lovely. I like chicory in any form. Quite why I bought the special shredder I don't know! I can very rarely get puntarelle here (if at all) and to date, I haven't found another use for it.

I don't know why you bought it either, :laugh:
Maybe you can use it for other vegetables like asparagus?
I only use a knife to remove the tough white end part of Puntarelle, but I don't throw anythingelse away.
If you come across them again (Ocado?), you can range over any field, after all they are vegetables. Steamed, boiled, raw, in salads, even in pasta or rice or savoury tart. Here it is, now I'm in the mood for Puntarelle risotto.

Ah - you know, I was about to add radicchio to this thread and you beat me to it. I love it too. But for some reason I never thought of cooking radicchio.

Ah - you know, I was about to add radicchio to this thread and you beat me to it. I love it too. But for some reason I never thought of cooking radicchio.

You should try to cook it, amazing indeed. Time ago I made a sweet and savoury strudel with Radicchio as one of the main ingredients.
I’ve also made a Radicchio chutney paired with Grana Padano cheese.

I've only ever had them mixed in with other salad greens, so I don't have a clear idea of how they taste on their own.

There was a restaurant in Caracas called "Da Sandra", where they´d offer salads of red radicchio, or green radicchio, dressed simply with oil, garlic, white wine vinegar and pepper. Wonderful. I think I´d describe radicchio as "bitter", astringent, suggestion of raw spinach, perhaps.
Cook radicchio halves on the grill and they take on a whole different taste profile.

Back
Top Bottom