Quality of Produce slipping?

ally79

Veteran
Local time
1:49 PM
It seems every time I buy fresh produce in my area it only lasts a day or two in the fridge. Is everyone having this problem?

I use to buy produce from Wal-Mart and I had the same problem with it not lasting in my fridge. Now I buy from a supermarket and from local farmers. I like their produce better and it lasts longer.

Your posting has left me wondering and these are just thoughts out loud, nothing more. Is it the quality that is slipping or is it that less preservatives are used to make the produce last longer? Just a random thought. I guess the only way of really knowing would be how they taste on the day of purchase, but even then you don't really know how old the produce is when you purchase it.

For me, I have not noticed a difference but I spent a long period out of the country living on the road, and you have no option but to purchase fresh produce every couple of days when you live without mod cons (12 month cycle tour).

I think it's the quality that is slipping. I have noticed that a lot of the produce in stores looks like it's old by the evening even though they put it out that morning. I would rather purchase fresh from the farmer or grow it in my own garden.

I use to buy produce from Wal-Mart and I had the same problem with it not lasting in my fridge. Now I buy from a supermarket and from local farmers. I like their produce better and it lasts longer.

I'm not sure if this apply to al Wal-Mart stores but in those withing my area there is a fresh produce guarantee that has improved the quality of products that we can purchase.

Oh, might not be available in all countries, http://news.walmart.com/news-archiv...launches-fresh-produce-guarantee-in-us-stores

Yeah I see it advertised on tv and when it comes to some fruits and vegetables they are fresh in the beginning, but as the day goes on they don't look as fresh as before. It could be just me. I know that the grocery store near my house has fresher fruits and vegetables so I go there for those.

This happens quite often when I buy produce from my local farmers markets. Granted, not all of it is actually grown locally but a majority of it doesn't have wax coatings, pesticides and other crap on it, so you need to use it right away. I'm fine with that. However when it happens from food from a major grocery store such as Walmart or even Trader Joes, I'm assuming that it's not only been waxed/radiated/and covered with pesticides, but that it's also much older as well.

Interestingly, some of the major grocery stores near me have also started to carry some produce from local farmers.

Not really. I am not sure why this is happening. Did you get your fridge checked. Maybe it is not working properly. That probably could be the reason.

Haven't really had that problem, last time I did it was with moldy strawberries at Hyvee. I think they made it two days in the fridge before they were taken over by mold.

I mainly get my produce at Walmart and Cashwise. Never really had problems at either place yet.

Back
Top Bottom