Question about roast dinner

SGP1991

Local time
11:17 PM
Hi my name is Stevie and I love to cook! I love homemade meals and have always found cooking a great way to distract myself from life's worrys. I LOVE slow cooker meals, but recently I have been watching a few recipes by Marco Pierre White and after months of thinking it over I believe I'm ready for my first ever roast dinner

It's funny, I actually joined this forum to get everyone's opinion on how I'm meant to prepare a roast dinner. The problem I was having was if I'm doing a roast on an oven safe pan how am I meant to roast the potatoes? I then looked at the recipe for the perfect roast and saw it is the same temperature as the actual roast. Then it's just a case of boiling veg. Taking the fat from the roast and using that in 500ml of water with 2 rich beef knorr stockpots (how amazing is the knorr range?!) with cornflour to thicken before hand.

Anyway I have rambled on enough, thanks for reading. I look forward on reading posts.

Stevie

Last edited by a moderator:
if I'm doing a roast on an oven safe pan how am I meant to roast the potatoes?

A few questions:

I am not sure what you mean - roast potatoes are cooked in an oven proof pan. Are you saying you only have one oven proof pan?

What kind of roast are you doing? Beef, chicken?

This was my hello to the forum and a mod moved it. My first question was how am I meant to roast potatoes when I am using the oven for the roast joint. However I found away around this by using an oven proof pan and using a deep dish for the potato's since I would be cooking the joint for 1 hour and 45 minutes on 180 fan. And I saw online it's part boiled and then deep dish for 50 minutes on 180 fan. Just a case of turning them over for the first 30 minutes 15 minutes each time.

Hi! I don't know if this helps, but I'll go over quickly how I did my roast beef at Christmas.

First, some background in that I used to have a cooker with two ovens, and that really helped with exactly the problem you're having. Then, like an idiot, when that cooker left this world, I saved a few bucks and got a single oven, and that means I frequently face the problem of cooking two things in the oven, at different temps.

In general, I've found the easiest way around it is to cook side dishes a day ahead of time and reheat. That won't work so well with proper roasted potatoes, as they tend to toughen in a very short time out of the oven.

So, on Christmas Day, I made a standing rib roast. My usual method is to rub it down, throw it in a very hot oven to crisp the fatcap, then turn the oven off and let it sit there for a few hours, never opening the oven, then before serving, turning the oven back on a bit to reheat.

That takes a single oven out of commission for quite a while.

Instead, this time, I followed the reverse sear method, starting it in a medium oven, then removing it and letting it rest for up to 90 minutes, then popping it back in a very hot oven at the very end to crisp it up.

During that 90 minute rest, that's when I did my carrots (reheated from the day before), my puds, and my roasted potatoes. Everything was done pretty much at the same time.

Good luck, and post some pics! :)

Ciao e Benvenuto Stevie,
I make roasted potato this way - Half boil potato, heat Olive oil inside roast pan another pan from meat, slice very thin two - three clove Garlic and two sprig fresh Rosemary. Crisp outside soft inside. Sauce personal things I use red wine, black pepper, I always make Burro mani mix butter and flour equal. Once thicker I add more butter to give gloss. Always use juice of beef from inside pan.

Sarana x

Ciao e Benvenuto Stevie,
I make roasted potato this way - Half boil potato, heat Olive oil inside roast pan another pan from meat, slice very thin two - three clove Garlic and two sprig fresh Rosemary. Crisp outside soft inside. Sauce personal things I use red wine, black pepper, I always make Burro mani mix butter and flour equal. Once thicker I add more butter to give gloss. Always use juice of beef from inside pan.

Sarana x

Please note that this member has not visited for over a month. To see when someone last visited, click or hover your cursor over their avatar picture. This is likely a dead thread.

Back
Top Bottom