Question about Thai Tea

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
7:57 PM
I had ordered a cold Thai tea before and I think I liked it. Out of curiosity I made my own research but I could not figure what are the authentic ingredients. I am more interested with the color orange not sure if that is food color or spice. Anyone here who has a better recipe? Please I need your help.

Two from http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/thai-tea , to try.
ha Dum Yen
  • =1 cup hot water
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1-2 tablespoons Thai tea

Add sugar to a glass or cup. Put one tablespoon of Thai tea to a tea sock. Place the tea sock directly above the glass. Pour hot water into the tea sock. Set the tea sock aside. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Add ice.

If you like it hot, reduce the sugar by half. Drink hot.

Cold Thai Tea
Cha Yen

1 Servings, Prep Time: , Total Time: 5 Minutes
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1 teaspoon milk
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
  • 1-2 tablespoons Thai tea

Add sugar and sweet condensed milk to a glass or cup. Put one tablespoon of Thai teato a tea sock. Place the tea sock directly above the glass. Pour hot water into the tea sock. Set the tea sock aside. Stir until the sugar and sweet condensed milk are dissolved. Add ice and top the tea with milk.

If you like it hot, reduce the sugar and sweet condensed milk by half. Drink hot.

Thank you classic33 for providing this recipe and the link. I also read a bit of information on the said link and it saddens me now because the Thai tea is not always available anywhere. I guess that authentic tea gives the bright orange color I am looking for. I thought there is a way to improvise.

Wikipedia suggests that the bright orange is simply Ceylon Tea, but that due to the high price of Ceylon tea, a cheaper tea is often used with an orange colouring added. So, you could simply buy some Ceylon tea and add your own flavourings: orange blossom water, star anise, crushed tamarind seed, cardamom are commonly added. Here is a link to a Glada De Laurentiis recipe for Thai Tea:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/thai-iced-tea-recipe.html

You know what I actually found the Giada Laurentis site and compared it with my other research. All of them said about the tamarind. I did not notice that I should be using the seeds only so I made my concoction using tamarind pulp. I was not impressed with the sour taste of the pulp. For the coloring I tried egg yellow food coloring and it did not even come close to my expectations.

Back
Top Bottom