Questions about shrimps

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
8:26 AM
Is it always necessary to remove the veins on their back? What will happen if I do not remove that? Aside from butter and cheese or garlic what other ingredients work well with shrimps? How can I avoid the shrimp from getting too rubbery or tough?

Is it always necessary to remove the veins on their back? What will happen if I do not remove that? Aside from butter and cheese or garlic what other ingredients work well with shrimps? How can I avoid the shrimp from getting too rubbery or tough?
You don't have to remove the vein. But its the shrimp's (UK prawn's) digestive track and people don't like the idea of eating it. To be honest, I don't bother unless its a huge shrimp! As for flavouring there are many spices and herbs which compliment them. Ginger alongside garlic is brilliant, chilli, cumin, coriander seeds, saffron. I could think of many many more! Herbs: coriander (cilantro), mint, tarragon, dill, parsley. A tomato based sauce works well with shrimps or you could make a shrimp curry. And of course they work well in Asian style stir fries.

As for cooking. The key to success is to cook them from raw and stop cooking as soon as they turn pink!

I had steamed shrimp last night at a soul food restaurant. It was really good! I think they added soul food seasoning to it. I really liked it. I thought it was a really different taste. I don't usually remove the vein if I cook it at home, unless the shrimp are huge. I love shrimp and it is quite low in calories. However, the bad part is it is high in cholesterol, which I do not need.

Shrimp is one of my favorite things. I like it dripped in seafood sauce. The spicy seafood cause is so good. I often buy the shrimp rings and just sit down and enjoy it. Shrimp fried rice is good!

Ok I give in - what is soul food ?
soul food
noun
  1. traditional southern African-American food..............Yet I get the impression it means different things to different people everywhere. Bakemehappy, I would listen to Morning Glory and basically not overcook which creates that rubbery toughness. I also like to have shrimp sometimes in my stir fried rice and honestly play around with all kinds of flavours and recipes. They are also great in a variety of salads and I always take the black stuff which I just read is crudely referred to as “poop chute.” In my early shrimp days I am sure I had a decent helping of said poop. I'm still alive and apparently it's a matter of choice.

I always remove the digestive track, or buy it already removed. It's not much work to do, and many people such as myself find it very unappetizing. I'm also not a fan of shrimp cooked with the head and legs still attached. It's the whole "I don't want my food looking back at me" thing. Though I heard the heads and shells can be used to make a fantastic seafood broth.

As mentioned, overcooking it is what causes it to be rubbery and tough. You really only need to cook it until it becomes opaque and white. If you're trying to get some browning or color on it, you need a really hot pan. Also make sure the shrimp is fully thawed and blotted dry. A lot of frozen seafood sold in stores is soaked in a chemical solution which causes it to absorb a lot of excess water and make them look bigger - however all that excess moisture leaks out when cooking, resulting in the shrimp steaming in all that liquid rather than getting a good sear.

Bacon wrapped shrimp cooked with cajun seasoning and butter is a personal favorite. I use the pre cooked bacon since it takes too long to cook bacon raw, which will result in overcooked shrimp. Just warm the bacon in the microwave for a few seconds to make it pliable, then wrap it around the shrimp and skewer them, then dust with cajun seasoning, and fry in a hot skillet with some butter.

One of the other benefits of removing the digestive track is that you can then "butterfly" the shrimp simply by placing it tract side down on your cutting board and gently pressing down on it until it spreads open. It's a nice presentation if you're making a panko crusted fried shrimp.

I always remove the "vein", I think most do but like @morning glory said it's not really necessary. I do love shrimp just like that dipped in seafood sauce or in pasta like shrimp scampi. But my favorite way to prepare it would have to be coconut shrimp, which is basically a coating with sweetened coconut in the mix and then you fry them. Pair them with a sweet and tangy plum sauce and it's heaven. Little tiny popcorn shrimp is good as well. Cooking them is fairly easy, once they turn pink they're done. Don't leave them on for long as soon as they do, otherwise they'll end up tough and rubbery.

The veins, simply put, are the digestive system of the shrimp. You don't have to remove it, but if you don't want your shrimp to taste sandy or off putting it's best to remove it. you can use a toothpick to remove it quite easily.
XoGEhti.jpg

Shrimp also works really well ground up and mixed with pork for a patty or a burger. It also does really well when battered and dipped into almost any aioli or flavored mayo. You can do a really good shrimp curry as well. Use tomato too, for a nice stir fry or a stew. Do a kebab and grill it up with a sauce of your liking whether bbq, hoisin, sweet chilli sauce, add it to your spinach and avocado for a great salad (poach or boil it), It also does really well in cream sauces.

For your last question, as soon as the shrimp turn pink it is fully cooked. They will get tough and rubbery when over cooked. Shrimp is a seafood and most seafoods cook super quick. Stir‑fry large shrimp for 3 to 4 minutes; medium 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes, and small/bay 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. This is just a general guide though.

Best of luck.

The veins, simply put, are the digestive system of the shrimp. You don't have to remove it, but if you don't want your shrimp to taste sandy or off putting it's best to remove it. you can use a toothpick to remove it quite easily.
XoGEhti.jpg

Shrimp also works really well ground up and mixed with pork for a patty or a burger. It also does really well when battered and dipped into almost any aioli or flavored mayo. You can do a really good shrimp curry as well. Use tomato too, for a nice stir fry or a stew. Do a kebab and grill it up with a sauce of your liking whether bbq, hoisin, sweet chilli sauce, add it to your spinach and avocado for a great salad (poach or boil it), It also does really well in cream sauces.

For your last question, as soon as the shrimp turn pink it is fully cooked. They will get tough and rubbery when over cooked. Shrimp is a seafood and most seafoods cook super quick. Stir‑fry large shrimp for 3 to 4 minutes; medium 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes, and small/bay 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. This is just a general guide though.

Best of luck.

This is truly, very helpful!!!

Back
Top Bottom